House Bill 21, 85th Texas Legislature, 1st Called Special Session (2017), established the Texas Commission on Public School Finance to develop and make recommendations for improvements to the current public school finance system or for new methods of financing public schools.
The commission shall develop recommendations to address issues related to the public school finance system, including:
- the purpose of the public school finance system and the relationship between state and local funding in that system;
- the appropriate levels of local maintenance and operations and interest and sinking fund tax effort necessary to implement a public school finance system that complies with the requirements under the Texas Constitution; and
- policy changes to the public school finance system necessary to adjust for student demographics and the geographic diversity in the state.
The commission may establish one or more working groups composed of not more than five members of the commission to study, discuss, and address specific policy issues and recommendations to refer to the commission for consideration.
Not later than December 31, 2018, the commission shall prepare and deliver a report to the governor and the legislature that recommends statutory changes to improve the public school finance system, including any adjustments to funding to account for student demographics.
Texas Public School Finance Overview 2017-2018 (Jan 2018) (PDF)
Texas Public School Finance Glossary Dec 2017 (PDF)
Rider 73 Charts Jan 2018 (PDF)
April 5, 2018 - 9 a.m.
William B. Travis Building - Room 1-104
1701 N. Congress Ave., Austin, TX
The meetings will be webcast at: http://www.adminmonitor.com/tx/tea/
Unless otherwise noted, archived videos of the meetings are available at http://www.adminmonitor.com/tx/tea/public_school_finance/.
March 19, 2018 - 9 a.m.
List* of Invited Speakers and Panels (PDF)
*Please note that the groups and order are subject to change.
List* of On-site Registrants (PDF)
*Please note that some speakers may have left before presenting testimony.
March 20, 2018 - 8 a.m.
Expenditures Working Group - Texas Commission on School Finance
An archived video of this meeting is available at http://tlchouse.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=13&clip_id=14855
March 7, 2018
- Amy Dodson, Director of Blended Learning, Cisco ISD and Karen Hickman, Deputy Superintendent of Academic Achievement, Pasadena ISD - Blended Learning in Texas Public Schools (PDF)
- Danny King, Superintendent, Pharr-San Juan-Alamo ISD - Scaling Early College High School (PDF) Joe May, Chancellor, Dallas County Community College, and Eric Ban, Managing Director of the Dallas County Promise - The Dallas Promise Network (PDF)
- Paul Hill, Founder of the Center on Reinventing Public Education and Research Professor at the University of Washington Bothell - Reinventing Public Education (PDF)
- Pedro Martinez, Superintendent, San Antonio ISD - Innovative Approaches to Public School Options and Poverty (PDF)
- Orlando Riddick, Superintendent, Midland ISD - Midland ISD (PDF)
- Tom Torkelson, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, IDEA Public Schools - IDEA Public Schools (PDF)
Feb. 22, 2018
- Don Rogers, Texas Rural Educators Association, Brian Stroman, Superintendent, Bloomburg ISD, and Cody Newcomb, Superintendent, Centerpoint ISD - Rural School View (PDF)
- Gary Godsey, Executive Director, Association of Texas Professional Educators (ATPE) - ATPE Testimony (PDF)
Feb 8, 2018 Presentations
Jan. 23, 2018 Presentations