Physical Fitness Assessment Initiative
State law requires school districts to annually assess the physical fitness of students enrolled in grade three or higher and to provide the results of individual student performance on the administered physical fitness assessments to the Texas Education Agency (TEA). The Physical Fitness Assessment Initiative (PFAI) is a program designed to collect and analyze the required student physical fitness data.
In accordance with Texas Education Code §§38.101- 38.104, the TEA is required to complete the following objectives:
- Adopt an assessment instrument to be used by all Texas public school districts
- Compile the results of the physical fitness assessment captured by school districts and provide summary results
- Analyze the results received for each school district to determine whether a relationship exists between student academic achievement levels, attendance levels, obesity, student discipline problems, and school meal programs.
Physical fitness assessment data for the 2020-2021 school year must be submitted to TEA using the PFAI application available through the Texas Education Agency Login (TEAL). The data is due on Friday, August 13, 2021 by 5 p.m.
The documents listed below are provided to assist school districts with a successful upload experience.
Quick Start Guide: Physical Fitness Assessment Initiative (PFAI) – provides information about gaining access to PFAI through the TEAL system, organizing data, and using the PFAI application
PFAI File Information and Upload Help Template (.pdf) – provides detailed information on creating the PFAI student data submission file
PFAI File Information and Upload Help Template (.xlxs) – provides detailed information on creating the PFAI student data submission file
PFAI Data Template (Spreadsheet) – provides a ready-to-use data template
PFAI Data Submission FAQs – provides answers to frequently asked questions
Important PFAI Information
Each year, physical fitness educators collect various fitness measurements of students for the PFAI and record the data.
- TEA aggregates the physical fitness data collected for the PFAI and provides a report to the legislature.
- Schools are not required to submit ethnicity data due to changes in federal and state ethnicity codes.
How to Get Started
Using the PFAI Application in TEAL
- All Texas schools will use the PFAI application in TEAL to upload data to TEA.
- Schools should appoint individuals responsible for submitting physical fitness data via the PFAI application and ensure that they are equipped with user names and passwords for a TEAL account.
- Instructions for registering for a TEAL account are provided in the Quick Start Guide: Physical Fitness Assessment Initiative (PFAI).
- All student data must be submitted at one time using the PFAI application in TEAL. Districts must wait until information for every eligible student has been gathered, and then upload all data to TEA in one submission.
- The Quick Start Guide: Physical Fitness Assessment Initiative (PFAI) provides step-by-step instructions for uploading student data in the PFAI application.
- For technical assistance for the PFAI application in TEAL, email email@example.com.
PFAI FitnessGram® Assessment Resources - provides information to assist with administering and entering data for the PFAI
Curriculum Standards and Student Support Division
1701 North Congress Avenue
Austin, TX 78701