Appeals to the Commissioner of Education

If you are an educator that received a notice of contract termination, non-renewal, suspension without pay and would like to request a hearing or file an appeal to the Commissioner of Education OR you are a parent/student that would like to file an appeal of a local ISD grievance decision, refer to the information on this page.


The Division of Hearings and Appeals is now accepting electronic filings.  All filings may now be submitted using the e-filing link below.

This service does not require registration and is free of charge to use.  The e-filing system submits the filings to the division of Hearings and Appeals only; therefore, all filers are required to separately serve parties with a courtesy copy of any filings submitted to TEA using the e-filing system. 

**Please note there is a 10MB size limit for uploaded documents. If your attachment is larger than 10MB, please submit by email or contact Christina Eischens at or 512-463-0489 to make other arrangements.**

 **If you are filing a new case, you will not have a docket number.  Please enter a "NEW" as the docket number and proceed with your filing**

Commissioner Decision and Independent Hearing Examiner Recommendation Search Tool

To search for decisions issued by the commissioner and recommendations issued by an independent hearing examiner, search the commissioner's decisions and local hearing recommendations database.  


How to Request Assignment of an Independent Hearing Examiner 

If you are an educator and you received a notice from your school board that your contract has been proposed for termination, non-renewed, or suspended without pay, you have the option to request the assignment of a independent hearing examiner with the Commissioner of Education. You must file a written request along with the notice you received from the school board not later than the 15th calendar day after the date you receive written notice. 

Please also refer to the step by step instructions for hearings before an Independent Hearing Examiner.


If you would like to file a complaint against an Independent Hearing Examiner, you may download and complete the form and submit it to our office. Please click here complaint form

List of Independent Hearing Examiner


How to File an Appeal before the Commissioner of Education

If you filed a parent, student, or educator grievance with the school board and a final decision has been reached, you may file an appeal in writing to the Commissioner of Education. You have 45 calendar days from the date you were notified of the school board's decision to file a Petition for Review with the Commissioner of Education.  Please refer to the instructions for filing a Chapter 7.057 petition for review. 


If you are a teacher and your contract has been terminated, non-renewed, or you have been suspended without pay by your district's school board, you may file an appeal in writing to the Commissioner of Education.  You have 20 calendar days after the decision of the school board of trustees has communicated to you, to file a Petition for Review with the Commissioner of Education. Please refer to the instructions for filing a Chapter 21 Petition for Review.



TEA does not provide forms or pleading examples due to the variety of cases that are filed.


Related information

For information on Texas Education Code (TEC), Chapter 21 teacher contracts, and Texas Administrative Code Chapter 157 refer to the following:

Contact Information

For questions related to hearings and appeals, please contact Christina Eischens, Office of the General Counsel, Division of Hearings and Appeals at or (512) 463-0489.

Texas Education Agency
Office of the General Counsel, Division of Hearings and Appeals
1701 N. Congress Avenue
Austin, Texas 78701-1494
(512) 463-0489
Fax: (512) 475-3662




Contact Information

For questions, please contact Christina Eischens, Office of the General Counsel, Division of Hearings and Appeals at or (512) 463-0489.