The mathematics web page provides clarification, guidance, and support to mathematics stakeholders, including districts, schools, parents, educators, and students, for the development and implementation of the K–12 mathematics Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) and mathematics graduation requirements.
Math Frequently Asked Questions
Got questions? We have answers.
We have collected questions from over the years and compiled them and the answers on a brand-new Mathematics Frequently Asked Questions.
Current Mathematics TEKS
The links below provide access to the web-based version of the current mathematics Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), which are the state standards for what students should know and be able to do. You can also access a PDF version of the TEKS.
- Elementary Mathematics TEKS
- Elementary Mathematics TEKS in Spanish (PDF)
- Middle School Mathematics TEKS
- Grade 6 Mathematics TEKS in Spanish (PDF)
- High School Mathematics TEKS
- Other Mathematics Courses TEKS (high school)
Additional related standards that support the TEKS
- Career and College Readiness Standards (outside source)
- English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS) (outside source)
- Prekindergarten guidelines
- TEKS with “Such As” Statements (PDF, 638KB): This document shows the TEKS with “such as” statements that were removed at second reading and final adoption of the TEKS.
Mathematics Curriculum Materials
The following documents are provided to assist math teachers in the planning process.
- Supporting Information (outside source)
- Interactive Mathematics Glossary (outside source)
- Texas Response to Curriculum Focal Points, Revised 2013 (outside source)
- Vertical Alignment Charts (outside source)
Texas Open Education Resources
Texas Open Education Resources (OER): state-developed materials where the underlying intellectual property is either owned by the state of Texas or it can be freely used and modified by the state in perpetuity. These materials are made freely available forever in digital form to Texas school districts and educators to use or modify as they see fit. They can be printed to ensure students have access to paper instructional materials. In the future, TEA plans to ensure students have access to printed versions at cost. Finally, these materials are updated to improve their quality with new versions over time based on feedback from teachers and parents.
Gain instant access to the content you seek, whether you are looking for “just-in-time” resources that you can leverage during a particular lesson, sequenced binders of instruction that you can assign to students, or self-directed PD training courses that you can take to earn CPE credit hours. This is the gateway to the content you need for your classroom and for yourself, even as these needs shift from day to day. <From the Texas Gateway - About webpage>
For more information visit the Texas Gateway.
ESTAR / MSTAR
The purpose of the ESTAR/MSTAR US are to help guide instructional decisions in relation to students’ readiness for algebra. The results, which are reported using the Response to Intervention tiers, can be used to help teachers determine if students are on track or at risk for meeting curricular expectations in algebra and for algebra readiness. Results also help teachers determine the intensity of the instructional support students need if they have been identified as at risk for not meeting curricular expectations in algebra and for algebra readiness. Teachers are able to monitor students’ risk status by administering comparable forms of the ESTAR/MSTAR US in fall, winter, and early spring. <This paragraph is from the Texas Gateway for example purposes only>
To learn more, visit ESTAR/MSTAR on the Texas Gateway
K - 2 Rapid Assessment
Educators now have several new K-2-math diagnostic tools. Texas A&M University and national early childhood math expert Dr. Herb Ginsberg of Columbia University have developed two types of diagnostic tools for K-2 teachers: A rapid assessment tool and a flexible interview assessment.
The rapid assessment offers a quick gauge of student ability. The flexible interview technique offers a deeper understanding of student cognitive ability based on underlying research in the area of questioning strategy. Together these tools add to teacher capabilities at the important early grades and allow educators to more effectively measure a student’s grasp of key math concepts.
For more information, please visit K-2 Math Assessments webpage.
Related STAAR Materials
The following links provide support from the Student Assessment Division.
- STAAR Resources
- Calculator Policy
- Student Assessment Division
- Assessments for Students with Disabilities
For questions regarding these resources, please contact the Student Assessment Division vis their Help Desk.
Several statewide mathematics professional development courses are currently available face-to-face at your ESC and online through the Texas Math Support Center. New courses will be available soon. For details on available courses and how to access them, contact your ESC, visit the Texas Algebra Ready website, or visit Texas Math Support Center.
The resources below address various topics related to teacher assignments, the standards, and instructional materials.
Revised Math TEKS Videos
Teachers who need assistance may contact the help desk at email@example.com.
The Revised Math TEKS (2012): The goals for participation are to become familiar with the supporting documents, to examine how to use the documents to improve overall mathematics instruction, and to explore vertical alignment of mathematical concepts and processes within the revised math TE KS. Links are provided below so teachers may enroll in the following courses:
- The Revised Math TEKS (2012) with Supporting Documents Revised Math TEKS: Module 1 (outside source)
- The Revised Math TEKS (2012): Applying the Mathematical Process Standards Revised Math TEKS: Module 2 (outside source)
- The Revised Math TEKS (2012): Completing the Gap Analysis Revised Math TEKS: Module 3 (outside source)
- The Revised Math TEKS (2012): Achieving Fluency and Proficiency Revised Math TEKS: Module 4 (outside source)
Presidential Awards for Excellence in Math and Science Teaching (PAEMST)
The Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) are the highest honors bestowed by the United States government specifically for K - 12 science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and/or computer science teaching. The awards were established by Congress in 1983. The National Science Foundation, under the direction of the White House, approves the Texas candidates for the national award. This fall, the cycle will be for teachers of grade 7 through grade 12.
To learn more visit Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (outside source).
If you are interested in helping out the 2024-2025 review cycle as either a mentor or reviewer, or have any other questions, please contact your Texas State PAEMST Coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PAEMST Texas State Finalists for 2023
The 2023 competition recognizes grades 7 through grade 12 mathematics and science teachers whose innovative methods bring teaching to life in the classroom. The Texas state secondary finalists we are listed below:
- Sarah DiMaria teaches Precalculus and AP Calculus at Cedars International Charter School in Austin, TX.
- Timothy McMahon teaches Precalculus, AP Calculus, and AP Statistics at Kaufman High School in Kaufman ISD in Kaufman, TX.
- Michelle Duphorne teaches Advanced Algebra I, Algebra I, Advance Geometry, AP Calculus, and AP Statistics at Grand Prairie College Institute in Grand Prairie ISD, Grand Prairie, TX.
- Sara Stieg teaches seventh grade Honors Math and eighth grade Algebra I at North Ridge Middle School in Birdville ISD, North Richland Hills, TX.
Curriculum Standards and Student Support
For questions or additional information, please submit a Curriculum Request Form through the TEA Help Desk.
Please subscribe for newsletter updates from the mathematics team.
Math and Science Team
Math and Science Director
Elementary Math/Science Content Specialist
Mathematics Achievement Academies Coordinator
Secondary Mathematics Specialist
Statewide STEM Coordinator
Secondary Science Specialist