State Waivers Unit
The State Waivers Unit of the Texas Education Agency is responsible for the coordination of expedited and general state waivers and class size exceptions. See Texas Education Code (TEC) §7.056, Waivers & Exemptions, for rules.
For information on Waivers related to COVID-19, please visit the "Waivers, Finance and Grants" section on the TEA's COVID-19 Support and Guidance webpage.
- LEAs should submit one Missed School Day Waiver application (with attestation and board agenda) inclusive of all days missed due to COVID-19 upon completion of the school year. Please note the applications are due no later than June 18, 2020. Please see the Attendance and Enrollment FAQ on the "Waivers, Finance and Grants" section of the website linked above for additional information.
2020-2021 Applications will be available in TEAL on the following dates:
|General & Expedited||July 6, 2020|
|Attendance (Missed School Day, Low Attendance)||August 3, 2020|
|Class Size||September 1, 2020|
|Full-Day Prekindergarten||2019-2020 Application: December 18, 2019 – July 1, 2020
See July 14th Update in Related Links section below.
2020-2021 Application – July 6, 2020
Note: Once a new waiver year opens, the prior school year waiver application will no longer be available.
Most waiver types are placed into one of four categories:
- Expedited Waivers are waivers that require basic information from the district.
- General Waivers are waivers that require detailed information surrounding the district's waiver request.
- Attendance Waivers include Missed Instructional Days and Low Attendance Days waivers. The district or campus can request a waiver for excused absences if instructional days are missed or if attendance is low due to weather, health, or safety issues.
- Maximum Class Size Exception is required under the provision of TEC §25.112 if any class for grades K-4 exceeds the allowable class size limit of 22 students per class (22:1). An exemption expires at the end of the school year for which it is granted.
- Other Waivers are specific requests that do not fall under any of the above categories.
This table shows the different waiver types and links to their description:
February 18th Update TEA Inclement Weather Update - February 18, 2021
July 14th Update Early Childhood Education COVID 19 Updates - July 14, 2020
To the Administrator Addressed House Bill 3 (HB3) Implementation: Extension: Full-Day Prekindergarten Waiver (2-27-20)
To the Administrator Addressed Additional Missed School Day Waivers related to Hurricane Harvey (9-1-2017)
To the Administrator Addressed Hurricane Harvey Related Waivers (8-29-2017)
Waivers Online Report - Displays the Status of Waiver Requests
To the Administrator Addressed Minutes of Operation - Updates to HB 2442 (8-31-2017)
To the Administrator Addressed Information Concerning Changes to Staff Development and Early Release Waivers for 2018-2019 and Beyond (8-31-2017)