Continuing Professional Education Information
Continuing Professional Education (CPE) is required for all Texas educators holding a standard certificate. If you have a standard certificate in Texas, you must renew it every five years. You must earn a minimum number of CPE hours through an approved CPE provider to renew your certificate (TAC §232.13).
- Classroom teachers must complete 150 CPE hours.
- No more than 150 CPE hours are required, even if you hold multiple classroom certificates.
- If you hold an Administrative and/or Student Services Certificate, you must complete 200 CPE hours.
- No more than 200 CPE hours are required, even if you hold multiple certificates, such as: Classroom, Administrative and Student Services Certificates.
The following documents provide information on the requirements for the different types of standard certificates as of June 1, 2019:
You must maintain written documentation of all CPE required activities (TAC §232.23(a)). Acceptable documentation may be certificates of completion or a professional development transcript. The documentation does not have to be submitted at the time of certificate renewal; however, it must be submitted to TEA in case of a certificate audit.
For additional information, please see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs CPE Educators).
CPE Provider Information for Educators
The following entities may provide and/or sponsor CPE activities for educators as pre-approved providers and do not have to register with TEA:
- State Board for Educator Certification
- Texas Education Agency
- Accredited institutions of higher education recognized by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB). This includes out-of-state institutions of higher education recognized by the THECB.
- Regional education service centers (ESCs)
- Texas public school districts and open-enrollment charter schools (AskTED)
- Accredited private schools recognized by the Texas Private School Accreditation Commission and International Association for Learner Driven Schools
The following entities may provide CPE activities for educators once approved as a CPE provider. They must submit the CPE Provider Registration Application to the Texas Education Agency:
- Professional membership associations or non-profits that have offered professional development in Texas for at least five years and have tax-exempt status, or a state association affiliated with a national association with a tax-exempt status. Submit Sections A & B of the application.
- Private companies, private entities, and individuals. Submit the entire application.
TEA offers approved CPE online courses through the Texas Gateway.
Documentation of CPE Provider Activities
All CPE providers must create their own documentation system (TAC) §232.21 (b) & (c).
At the conclusion of each activity offered for CPE credit, the provider or sponsor must provide each educator in attendance written documentation listing, at a minimum, the following:
- CPE provider's name and provider number (CPE provider number for school districts, charters, private schools, and institutions of higher education is their assigned County/District number)
- Educator's name
- Date and content of the activity
- Number of clock hours that count toward satisfying CPE requirements
This information may be provided in paper or electronic format. If the entity provides CPE credits through a conference or as a consultant for a school district or regional education service center, the certificates of completion may reflect either the entity’s CPE provider number or the host CPE number as appropriate.
All providers must maintain a log of CPE activities conducted that includes a list of attendees, the date and content of the activity, and the number of clock hours that count toward satisfying CPE requirements. Records must be retained for seven years.
CPE providers are expected to notify TEA at any time of any updates on their provider information. Complete and submit the CPE Provider Information Update form for any provider updates.For additional information, please see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs CPE Providers).
Any questions regarding CPE activities may be directed to email@example.com or (512) 463-5280.