Charter School Applicants
Several types of charter schools operate in Texas. Each type of charter has its own application process; please visit the appropriate page to learn more about the various types of charter applications available.
State-Authorized Charter Schools
The state's charter school portfolio is made up of Subchapter D (Open-Enrollment), Subchapter E (College and University), and mission-specific charters. These charter schools are authorized and overseen by the commissioner of education and operate under a term contract.
Applicants may apply based on operator type.
Texas Education Code (TEC) Chapter 12 Operators
- New Operators (Open-Enrollment) are eligible entities that have not operated a charter school before and that are seeking a state-authorized charter under TEC Chapter 12, Subchapter D.
- Experienced Operators (Open Enrollment) are eligible entities with a history of operating a high-quality charter school(s) under a different authorizer and that are seeking a state-authorized charter under TEC Chapter 12, Subchapter D.
- College or University Operators are eligible entities associated with a Texas college or university and are seeking a state-authorized charter under TEC Chapter 12, Subchapter E.
Mission Specific Operators are eligible entities seeking a state-authorized charter under a statute other than TEC Chapter 12 (pages under construction):
- Adjudicated Youth are eligible entities that aim to serve a student population of adjudicated youths and are seeking a charter under Human Resources Code Chapter 221.
- Adult Education are eligible entities that aim to serve a student population of 18-50 year olds and are seeking a charter under TEC Chapter 29, §29.259.
District-Authorized Charter School Campuses
Subchapter C Charter Campuses are authorized and overseen by school districts. Boards of trustees of traditional school districts may authorize charter school campuses under TEC Chapter 12, Subchapter C. This includes charter partnerships under SB 1882. Entities seeking to apply as a district-authorized charter or charter schools applicants seeking partnerships with a school district should email DSSI@tea.texas.gov for information and resources.
Charter School Program Start-Up Grants
Entities interested in information about the federal Charter School Program (CSP) Start-Up grants can find more information on our Funding page.
Public Meeting Calendar for Generation 25 Charter School Applicants
Community interest and support are important aspects of the Generation 25 Application for Open-Enrollment Charters. The Public Meeting Calendar provides information about the meetings held by applicants who are preparing to apply in Generation 25 under the above categories.