The State Board of Education (SBOE) has legislative authority to adopt the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for each subject of the required curriculum. In June 2017, the SBOE approved a process that will be used to streamline the social studies TEKS. SBOE members will nominate educators, parents, business and industry representatives, and employers to serve on the TEKS streamlining work groups. This page provides information regarding the streamlining of the social studies TEKS.
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) is now accepting applications from individuals interested in serving on the TEKS streamlining work groups for social studies. Instructions for submitting the application to the Curriculum Standards and Student Support Division electronically are provided in the application. Applications may also be submitted to the Curriculum Standards and Student Support Division as an attachment to an email to email@example.com or by FAX to (512) 463-8057.
Please note: Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox are the recommended web browsers to use for the best results when downloading and submitting the Social Studies Streamlining Application. Applicants will receive confirmation of the receipt of their application within five business days. Please contact the Curriculum Standards and Student Support Division at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding any technical difficulties related to the application.
Application to Serve on Social Studies TEKS Streamlining Work Groups (PDF, 1,583KB)
Applications will be submitted to SBOE members for review. Based on that review, SBOE members will make nominations to work groups. TEA will notify all applicants once final decisions have been made.
- Applications will be submitted to SBOE members for review throughout the process. Based on that review, SBOE members will make nominations to work groups. TEA will notify applicants of their nominations at each stage in the streamlining process.
- Work group members will be expected to complete an online orientation session prior to their work group meeting. Work group members may be asked to complete an initial review prior to their work group meeting.
- TEKS workgroups will convene in Austin for a minimum of one face-to-face meeting. Meeting times and dates for the different work groups will be shared with the SBOE's appointees for each work group. Additional meetings conducted by webinar may also be scheduled as necessary.
- Work group members may be asked to provide invited testimony at SBOE meetings.
- Work group members will be reimbursed in accordance with state travel guidelines for travel, meals, and lodging for meetings held in Austin.
- Questions related to the application for the social studies TEKS streamlining process can be directed to email@example.com.