The State Board of Education (SBOE) has legislative authority to adopt the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for each subject of the required curriculum. In June 2017, the SBOE approved a process that will be used to streamline the social studies TEKS. SBOE members will nominate educators, parents, business and industry representatives, and employers to serve on the TEKS streamlining work groups. This page provides information regarding the streamlining of the social studies TEKS.
Social Studies TEKS Streamlining Work Groups
The SBOE's new TEKS review and revision process calls for multiple,
separate work groups. Nominations to serve on TEKS work groups will be made
throughout the TEKS review process. The following list includes individuals
appointed by the SBOE to serve on the Social Studies TEKS Streamlining Work Groups.
SBOE Social Studies TEKS Streamlining Work Groups (PDF, 173KB)
Social Studies TEKS Streamlining Work Group Drafts
Applications were submitted to SBOE members for review throughout the process. Based on that review, SBOE members made nominations to work groups. TEA notified applicants of their nominations at each stage in the streamlining process.
- Work group members will be expected to complete an online orientation session prior to their work group meeting. Work group members may be asked to complete an initial review prior to their work group meeting.
- TEKS work groups will convene in Austin for a minimum of one face-to-face meeting. Meeting times and dates for the different work groups will be shared with the SBOE's appointees for each work group. Additional meetings conducted by webinar may also be scheduled as necessary.
- Work group members may be asked to provide invited testimony at SBOE meetings.
- Work group members will be reimbursed in accordance with state travel guidelines for travel, meals, and lodging for meetings held in Austin.
- Questions related to the application for the social studies TEKS streamlining process can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.