January 25, 2018
TO THE ADMINISTRATOR ADDRESSED:
Subject: Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching
The Texas Education Agency is pleased to announce that nominations and applications for the 2018 Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST)are now being accepted. The National Science Foundation administers PAEMST on the behalf of The White House Office of Science and Technology Policy. PAEMST is the highest recognition that a mathematics or science teacher may receive for outstanding teaching in the United States. This year, the PAEMST program will honor mathematics and science teachers in kindergarten through grade 6.
These awards recognize teachers for their contributions to teaching and learning and their ability to help students make progress in mathematics and science. Awards are given to mathematics and science teachers from each of the 50 states and 4 U.S. jurisdictions. Awardees serve as models for their colleagues, inspiration to their communities, and leaders in the improvement of mathematics and science education.
Teachers may be nominated for the award or may sign up to apply themselves. Principals, teachers, parents, or other members of the general public may nominate outstanding teachers. The nomination deadline is April 1, 2018, and applications are due by May 1, 2018. In Texas, eligible teachers who submit a completed application by the May 1, 2018, application deadline will be awarded 25 continuing professional education (CPE) hours.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Teach mathematics or science at kindergarten – grade 6 in a public (including charter) or private school
- Teach in one of the 50 states or the 4 U.S. jurisdictions
- Hold at least a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- Be a full-time employee of the school or school district as determined by state and district policies and teach students at least 50% of the time
- Have at least 5 years of full-time, K - 12 mathematics or science teaching experience prior to the 2017-2018 academic school year
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Not have received the PAEMST award at the national level in any prior competition or category
Recipients of the award receive the following:
- A citation signed by the President of the United States
- A paid trip for two to Washington, D.C., to attend a series of recognition events and professional development opportunities
- A $10,000 award from the National Science Foundation
Nominate an outstanding teacher or access the application at www.paemst.org.
For more information, please contact Jo Ann Bilderback, Director of Mathematics, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (512) 463-9581.