Purple Star Campus Designation
The Purple Star Campus Designation recognizes Texas district and charter schools that show their support and commitment to meeting the unique needs of military-connected students and their families.
This special honor was created by the 86th Texas Legislature through SB 1557 and further described in agency rule (19 TAC, § 61.1063), effective April 9, 2020.
Every fall, TEA awards the Purple Star Campus designation to campuses that apply and meet the established criteria (see below). Campuses that are selected will receive a special Purple Star recognition to display on campus or on the school website. Campuses selected will also have their designation featured on the TxSchools.gov web page.
Purple Star Campus Designation Awardees
- Governor Abbott Announces SY 2023-24 Purple Star Campus Designations
- 2023-24 Purple Star Campus Designation Awardees
- 2022-2023 Purple Star Campus Designation Awardees
- 2021-2022 Purple Star Campus Designation Awardees
- 2020-2021 Purple Star Campus Designation Awardees
Criteria at a Glance
1) Designate a campus-based military liaison that must:
- Support military connected students and their families.
- Offer professional development opportunities for staff members on issues related to military-connected students.
2) Create and maintain an easily accessible web page that includes information for military-connected students and their families.
3) Must have a campus transition program that includes:
- Introductions to school environment and processes.
- Student leaders or ambassadors should be support or sponsored by a campus-based staff member.
- Participate in organizing and hosting newcomer social events, facilitating guided tours of the campus, and accompanying new students to lunch the first week of school.
4) Offer at least one of the following initiatives:
- A resolution showing support for military-connected students and families;
- Participation in Month of the Military Child or Military Family Month; or
- Partnership with a school liaison officer to encourage and provide opportunities for active duty military members.
To see the Purple Star Campus Designation rule in its entirety visit: 19 TAC, Chapter 61. School Districts, Subchapter FF. Commissioner’s Rules Concerning Veterans and Military Dependents. Division 2, Military-Connected Students, § 61.1063.
How to Apply
Applications for the 2023-24 school year closed on June 2, 2023. Those applications are currently under review. Purple Star Campus awardees will be announced in Fall 2023. Applications for the 2024-25 school year will open in April 2024.