Certification Based on Credentials from another Country

If you hold a standard educator certificate or credential from a country outside of the United States and its territories, you must apply for a review of your out-of-country credentials.

Application Instructions

You must apply for the review of out-of-country credentials and pay a $164 non-refundable fee.

Detailed information about the above required documents (PDF, KB 127.11)


Out-of-State Tests

If you were required to take tests to obtain the certificates that you submitted for the review of credentials, you may submit additional documentation for possible exemption of Texas tests. Out-of-state test scores will not be considered without a review of credentials.

Social Security Number Required for Certification

You must complete fingerprinting before a certificate will be issued. A social security number (SSN) is required to complete fingerprinting. Please visit the Social Security Administration for information regarding SSNs.

Results of the Review

Once the review of credentials is completed you will receive the results by email. The email will include the required tests for standard certificates and your eligibility for a one-year non-renewable certificate.

One-Year Certificate

Once you have completed the review of credentials, you may be eligible for a One-Year Certificate. You must submit acceptable proof of oral English language proficiency before a certificate can be issued. While your One-Year certificate is valid, you must complete one or both of the following options:

  • Submit all required documents necessary to determine possible exemption of out-of-state tests to establish the standard certificate, based on your completed review of credentials.
  • Complete all appropriate tests to establish the standard certificate if not exempted from required tests.

Standard certificate

Once your required tests and oral English language proficiency requirements are met you must apply for your Standard certificate.