Clarifications for the Child Find Collection (SPPI-11 and SPPI-12) and the State Performance Plan (SPP) Indicator 13
|Date:||August 4, 2022|
|Subject:||Clarifications for the Child Find Collection (SPPI-11 and SPPI-12) and the State Performance Plan (SPP) Indicator 13|
|Category:||Child Find and State Performance Plan Update|
|Next Steps:||Share with appropriate local educational agency (LEA) and education service center (ESC) staff|
This letter provides notification to local educational agencies (LEAs) that for the school year (SY) 2021–2022 there will be a clarifications period conducted by the Division of Review and Support for LEAs to make “corrections before findings of noncompliance” are issued by the Texas Education Agency (TEA) for state performance plan (SPP) indicator 11 (Timely Evaluation), SPPI-12 (Early Childhood Transition), or SPPI-13 (Secondary Transition) with less than 100% compliance.
SPP Data Submission Deadline
The clarifications period utilizes SPP compliance data submitted for SPPI-11 and SPPI-12 to the Texas Student Data System (TSDS) Child Find collection and data submitted for SPPI-13 to the SPP application in the Texas Education Agency Login (TEAL) by the following deadlines:
- TSDS Child Find collection data submission due July 28, 2022, at 11:59 PM.
- SPPI-13 data submission due August 12, 2022, at 11:59 PM.
The compliance target for the SPP compliance indicators is 100% (see FFYs 2020–2025 Part B SPP/APR Measurement Table). Per Memo 09–02 from the Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP), LEAs can demonstrate noncompliance (< 95%), substantial compliance (>= 95% and <= 99%), and compliance (100%) for SPPI-11 (i.e., initial evaluation), SPPI-12, and SPPI-13. LEAs with less than 100% compliance will have the opportunity to make “corrections before findings of noncompliance” are issued.
SPP Clarification Process
LEAs will have the opportunity to submit updated SPP compliance data during the clarifications period to address findings of noncompliance. LEAs may correct data entry errors and provide documentation of correction for noncompliance based on the following two criteria (see OSEP Memo 09–02):
- Prong 1: Correction of individual student-level noncompliance
- Prong 2: Implementation of regulatory requirements for SPP complication indicators
The SPP clarification process includes the following four main steps:
- Notification of Potential Noncompliance and Option to Participate in SPP Clarifications
- LEA notified of noncompliance finding(s)
- LEA selects one of the three following options:
- Do Nothing
- Verify Noncompliance
- Verify Correction
- Review and Support staff provides clarification dates and link to submit clarifications documentation to LEA
- LEA Submission of Clarification Data
- LEA submits clarifications data for Prong 2 evidencing systematic correction to prevent future noncompliance for SPPI-11 and SPPI-12 via the SPP Clarification Qualtrics Survey
- LEA submits clarifications data for Prong 2 evidencing systematic correction to prevent future noncompliance for SPPI-13 via the SPP application in TEAL
- Review of Clarifications Data Submission
- Prong 1 verification for both the TSDS Child Find collection (SPPI-11 and SPPI-12) and the SPP application in TEAL for SPPI-13.
- Prong 2 verification of documentation evidencing systemic correction to prevent future noncompliance submitted via the SPP Clarification Qualtrics Survey.
- Determination of Noncompliance and Notification
- Prong 2 data submitted during the clarifications period reviewed and compliance determinations made for LEAs.
- LEAs with noncompliance findings for SPPI-11 and SPPI-12 in the TSDS Child Find collection and SPPI-13 in the SPP application will receive notification of noncompliance and required corrective actions in mid-October by the Division of Special Education Program, Policy, Engagement, and Reporting
For information about the timeline, see 2022 State Performance Plan (SPP) Clarification Timeline.
SPP Clarifications Resources
The following resources support the SPP clarifications process:
- SPP Clarifications Process Step-by-Step Guide
- SPP Clarifications Timeline
- SPPI-13 Clarification Process
- SPPI-13 Data Clarification Overview
The following resources provide guidance for the SPP data collection and measurement requirements:
- State Performance Plan Indicators
- TEA SPPI-11 Timely Initial Evaluation
- TEA SPPI-12 Early Childhood Transition
- TEA SPPI-13 Secondary Transition
For questions about the SPP clarifications process, please contact the Division of Review and Support by email at ReviewandSupport@tea.texas.gov. For TSDS Child Find collection (SPPI-11 and SPPI-12) and SPPI-13 measurement questions, please contact the Division of Special Education Program, Policy, Engagement, and Reporting data manager, Dr. Zane Wubbena, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.