This page provides information on curriculum, assessment, and rules. We welcome any suggestions that will improve this page for individuals working to provide high quality social studies programs for students. Join the Social Studies mailing list to receive updates.
The Curriculum Division social studies team provides direction and leadership to the social studies program, Kindergarten through grade 12.
The social studies team does the following:
- Assists districts statewide with implementation of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for social studies
- Collaborates with the Division of Student Assessment to develop state social studies assessments
- Assists the Instructional Materials and Educational Technology Division (IMET) in overseeing the textbook adoption process for K-12 social studies
- Reviews state certifications related to Social Studies with the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC)
- Provides on-going communication with the field about current issues in social studies curriculum and policy interpretations related to graduation requirements in 19 TAC Chapter 74.
The following sites provide access to the state standards for social studies.
Social Studies Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) implemented beginning with school year 2011-2012
Economics Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) implemented beginning with school year 2011-2012
Take statewide professional development courses on social studies topics online through the Texas Gateway (outside source).
Frequently Asked Questions
The following document provides information about the Personal Financial Literacy high school elective course.
Personal Financial Literacy Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 86KB)
The following resources provide more information to support educators:
Celebrate Freedom Week
Personal Financial Literacy List of Approved Materials
Educator Certification Rule
Student Assessment Division