2019–2020 Accommodation Resources
TEA accessibility policies may apply to any student taking STAAR or TELPAS depending on his or her needs and whether or not the student meets the eligibility criteria, if applicable. These policies are divided into 3 main categories. Within each category are links to policy documents that provide more specific information.
- 2019 Accommodation Resources (archived)
Accessibility Policy documents listed on the Accommodation Resources webpage are currently located in the District and Campus Coordinator Resources online.
To view or print out the accessibility policies as one file, use the following link: Spring 2020 Accommodation Policy Documents
- Accessibility Features: These are procedures and materials that are allowed for any student who needs them.
- Designated Supports: These are locally-approved supports for students who meet eligibility criteria.
- Basic Transcribing
- Braille/Refreshable Braille
- Calculation Aids
- Content and Language Supports
- Content and Language Supports Guidelines
- Extra Time
- Individualized Structured Reminders
- Large Print
- Manipulating Test Materials
- Mathematics Manipulatives
- Oral/Signed Administration
- Spelling Assistance
- Supplemental Aids
3. Designated Supports Requiring TEA Approval: These supports require the submission and approval using the Accommodation Request Process below.
Accommodation Request Process
For designated supports requiring TEA approval, the appropriate team of people at the campus level determines whether the student meets all of the specific eligibility criteria and, if so, submits an Accommodation Request Form to TEA. Educators must read and understand the information in the links below prior to submitting an Accommodation Request Form to TEA.
The 2019–2020 Accommodation Request Process (PDF) guides district and campus personnel in the process for requesting designated supports.
The 2019–2020 Training Document (PDF) outlines the steps to take when completing an Accommodation Request Form in the online system. It is recommended that all educators completing the online Accommodation Request Form review this document prior to submitting the form to TEA. (coming soon)
The 2019–2020 Online Accommodation Request Form (external link) leads to the online request form that educators must fill out to request a designated support. For a special administration of an online test (i.e., STAAR with content and language supports, TELPAS grades 2-12 reading and listening and speaking), do NOT submit an online accommodation request form. You must submit a 2019–2020 Request for a Special Administration of an Online Assessment and include in the request any designated support requiring TEA approval the student may need. The online request form will be available in October, 2019.
The 2019–2020 Online Accommodation Request Submission Deadlines (PDF) document lists the deadlines for submitting online accommodation requests for each test administration through June 30, 2020.
Training and Presentations
The following resources provide training opportunities (e.g., PowerPoint presentations, link to future training, training manuals) for educators needing information on accommodation resources.
- Student Assessment TETN Schedule
- 2019–2020 STAAR Accessibility Updates TETN #834 (PDF posted 10/21/19)
- 2019–2020 STAAR Accessibility Updates TETN #834 (PPT posted 10/21/19)
- 2019–2020 Accommodations Allowable Supplemental Aids (PDF posted 09/26/19)
- 2019–2020 Accommodations Allowable Supplemental Aids (PPT posted 09/26/19)
- Technology Guidelines (PDF)
- 2019–2020 Technology Use Guidelines Presentation (PDF Updated 12/3/19)
- 2019–2020 Technology Use Guidelines Presentation (PPT Updated 12/3/19)
- Accommodations in Unexpected or Emergency Situations (PDF)
- Parent Resource: Designated Supports Available for STAAR, STAAR Spanish, and TELPAS (PDF)
- Math Scribe (PDF)
- Extra Day (PDF)
- Complex Transcribing (PDF)
- Complex Transcribing for TELPAS (PDF)
- STAAR with Embedded Supports Non-Secure Front Matter Grades 3-5 (PDF)
- STAAR with Embedded Supports Non-Secure Front Matter Grades 6-8 (PDF)
- STAAR with Embedded Supports Non-Secure Front Matter End-of-Course (PDF)
- General Instructions for Administering Large-Print State Assessments (PDF)
- General Instructions for Administering State Assessments to Students Who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing (PDF)
- General Instructions for Transcribing the Griddable Questions Student Document (PDF)
- General Instructions for Administering Braille State Assessments (PDF)
- Oral/Signed Administration Guidelines (PDF updated 3/12/20)
- Educator Guide to Accessibility within the STAAR program (PDF)
- Font and Point Sizes Matrices for STAAR, STAAR Spanish, and TELPAS (PDF)
- 2019 Accommodation Resources (archived)
NOTE: Documents not linked will be posted as they become available.
For additional information, contact:
Student Assessment Division
1701 North Congress Avenue
Austin, Texas 78701