2020–2021 Accommodation Resources
TEA accessibility policies may apply to any student taking STAAR or TELPAS depending on his or her needs and whether or not the student meets the eligibility criteria, if applicable. These policies are divided into 3 main categories. Within each category are links to policy documents that provide more specific information.
- 2019–2020 Accommodation Resources (archived)
Accessibility Policy documents listed on the Accommodation Resources webpage are currently located in the District and Campus Coordinator Resources online.
- Accessibility Features: These are procedures and materials that are allowed for any student who needs them.
- Designated Supports: These are locally-approved supports for students who meet eligibility criteria.
- Basic Transcribing
- Braille/Refreshable Braille
- Calculation Aids
- Content and Language Supports
- Content and Language Supports Guidelines
- Extra Time
- Individualized Structured Reminders
- Large Print
- Manipulating Test Materials
- Mathematics Manipulatives
- Oral/Signed Administration
- Spelling Assistance
- Supplemental Aids
3. Designated Supports Requiring TEA Approval: These supports require the submission and approval using the Accommodation Request Process below.
Accommodation Request Process
For designated supports requiring TEA approval, the appropriate team of people at the campus level determines whether the student meets all of the specific eligibility criteria and, if so, submits an Accommodation Request Form to TEA. Educators must read and understand the information in the links below prior to submitting an Accommodation Request Form to TEA.
The 2020–2021 Accommodation Request Process (PDF) guides district and campus personnel in the process for requesting designated supports.
The 2020–2021 Training Document (PDF) outlines the steps to take when completing an Accommodation Request Form in the online system. It is recommended that all educators completing the online Accommodation Request Form review this document prior to submitting the form to TEA.
The 2020–2021 Online Accommodation Request Form (external link) leads to the online request form that educators must fill out to request a designated support. For a special administration of an online test (i.e., STAAR with content and language supports, TELPAS grades 2-12 reading and listening and speaking), do NOT submit an online accommodation request form. You must submit a 2020–2021 Request for a Special Administration of an Online Assessment and include in the request any designated support requiring TEA approval the student may need. The online request form will be available soon.
Training and Presentations
The following resources provide training opportunities (e.g., PowerPoint presentations, link to future training, training manuals) for educators needing information on accommodation resources.
- Student Assessment TETN Schedule
- 2020-2021 Allowable Supplemental Aids (PDF posted 10/21/20)
- 2020-2021 Allowable Supplemental Aids (PPT posted 10/21/20)
- 2020-2021 Technology Guidelines Presentation (PDF posted 10/21/20)
- 2020-2021 Technology Guidelines Presentation (PPT posted 10/21/20)
- Educator Guide to Accessibility within the STAAR Program (PDF posted 9/30/20)
- Parent Resource: Designated Supports Available for STAAR, STAAR Spanish, and TELPAS (PDF posted 10/7/20)
- General Instructions for Administering Large-Print State Assessments (PDF posted 10/9/20)
- General Instructions for Administering Braille Versions of State Assessments (PDF posted 10/9/20)
- General Instructions for Administering State Assessments to Students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing (PDF posted 10/9/20)
- General Instructions for Transcribing the Griddable Questions Student Document (PDF posted 10/16/20)
NOTE: Documents not linked will be posted as they become available.
For additional information, contact TEA using the Student Assessment Help Desk or call 512-463-9536.