Certification Based on Credentials from another Country

If you hold a standard educator certificate or credential from a country outside of the United States and its territories, you must apply for a review of your out-of-country credentials.

Application Instructions

You must apply for the review of out-of-country credentials and pay a $164 non-refundable fee.

  • Create a TEA Online account.
    • TEA will issue you a temporary number if you do not have an SSN. The temporary number allows you to create a TEA Login (TEAL) account and access the Educator Certification Online System (ECOS). Access to ECOS is needed to apply for a Review of Credentials. 
  • Submit an original course-by-course evaluation by a recognized foreign evaluation service.
  • Submit an original written statement from your country's licensing agency.
  • Submit acceptable proof of oral English language proficiency.

Detailed information about the above required documents (PDF, KB 385.90)

Social Security Number Required for Certification

You must complete fingerprinting before a certificate will be issued. A social security number (SSN) is required to complete fingerprinting. Please visit the Social Security Administration for information regarding SSNs.

One-Year Certificate

Once you have completed the review of credentials, you may be eligible for a One-Year Certificate. You must submit acceptable proof of oral English language proficiency before a certificate can be issued. You must complete all appropriate tests to establish the Standard certificate.

Standard certificate

Once your required tests and oral English language proficiency requirements are met you must apply for your Standard certificate.