Charter School Finance
The Foundation School Program (FSP) is the primary source of funding for charter schools. The number of students attending as well as their program participation determine the amount of funding for each charter. Schools that choose to provide transportation to students receive additional state funds. Charter schools are not entitled to participate in the Instructional Facilities Allotment program.
Law and Rules
- Texas Education Code: §12.106, State Funding
- Commissioner's Rules: 19 Texas Administrative Code §100.1041, State Funding
TEAL and Foundation School Program (FSP)
Reference the documents on the step-by-step process to acquire a TEAL account and/or request the Foundation School Program Application.
Charter School FSP Deadlines
August 1: Estimate Data Report: (Late submissions not accepted)
- Report opens the first week of July
- Required submission for new open-enrollment charter schools
- Optional submission for all other charter schools
September 1: Accelerated Payment Schedule Class 5 (Late submissions not accepted)
- Schedule opens two weeks before deadline
- New open-enrollment charter schools not eligible to apply
10 calendar days after six-week reporting period ends: Six-week District Summary Attendance Report
Non-school days count toward the 10-calendar day deadline, however you may use the following guidance if deadline falls during:
- Thanksgiving break - Submit within first 7 days of December
- Christmas break - Submit within first 7 days of January
- Spring break - Submit within first 7 days of April
Estimate of State Aid Template
The template is published annually in July. For planning purposes, you may continue to use the current Estimate of State Aid Template, which reconciles to the latest Summary of Finances report to project state aid for the upcoming school year.
- 2021-2022 Estimate of State Aid Template (Excel, 10,33 KB) "Version 2 September 2021 update"
- 2020-2021 Estimate of State Aid Template (Excel, 1.09 MB) "Version 4 update as of April 2021"
Reports, Links and Other Information
- Summary of Finances (SOF)
- Payment Ledger
- TEA Payment Report
- Student Attendance Accounting Handbook
- Foundation School Program (FSP) System Training
For additional information, contact:
|State Funding Division|