Special Education in Nonpublic and Off-Campus Programs
The Individuals with Disabilities Act entitles a student with a disability to a free, appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment. When a student has educational needs that cannot be met in a public school setting, that student can be educated in a private school or facility, referred to as a nonpublic school, or in an off-campus program, at public expense. A student’s admission, review, and dismissal (ARD) committee must determine that the school district or charter school cannot provide the student with the special education instruction and related services necessary to meet the student’s unique needs for that student to be educated in a nonpublic school or off-campus program. The ARD committee identifies a nonpublic school or off-campus program that will provide the student an appropriate educational program.
TEA will ensure that students placed in or referred to nonpublic schools are provided with special education and related services that meet federal and state special education program requirements under 34 Code of Federal Regulations §300.146,19 Texas Administrative Code §89.61 (for nonpublic residential placements), and 19 TAC §89.1094 (for nonpublic day and off-campus placements). Placement in a nonpublic school or off-campus program is considered a more segregated educational environment than placement in a public school setting. Federal regulations and State Board of Education/Commissioner’s rules protect the rights of students in such placements.
The nonpublic school or off-campus program’s education program must be approved by the commissioner of education, if a nonpublic day or residential school will provide any of the special education and related services listed in the student’s individualized education program. Nonpublic schools and off-campus programs that provide special education are monitored by TEA to ensure compliance with federal and state standards.
The nonpublic school review process is not required for a private school or facility that provides only related services or whose special education instructional program is provided by an accredited Texas school district or charter school. The school district is responsible for making sure appropriate educational services are provided to the student.
New! APEX Application in TEAL
For the 2021-2022 school year, the beginning-of-year application submission deadline in APEX has been extended to Monday, October 18, 2021.
LEA and ESC users are able to request access in TEAL for APEX (Application Program for Nonpublic and Off-Campus Placements, and High Cost Fund Application.) All Nonpublic Day and Residential applications and High Cost Fund applications will be completed in APEX for the 2021-2022 school year.
- New! APEX User Manual
- New! APEX Requesting Access - video with captions
- New! APEX Project Overview and Adding Students - video with captions
Nonpublic/Off-Campus Quarterly Updates
Nonpublic/Off-Campus Quarterly Updates is a new resource designed to highlight guidance and best practices based on questions from the field and nonpublic monitoring findings.
- Archived: 2020-2021 Program Guidance
- New! Notification Requirements for Funding
- 2020 Nonpublic Day & Residential/Off-Campus Programs - General Overview (video with captions) | (video without captions) | PDF Version
- Nonpublic/Off-Campus Reintegration Guidance (video with captions) | PDF Version
- Reintegration Planning Guidance
- 2021-2022 Nonpublic Placement Application and Notification Updates
- 2020-2021 Nonpublic and High Cost Fund Application Timelines at a Glance | (text-only version)
- 19 TAC 89.1094 Guidance Document
Nonpublic/Off-Campus Facility Information
- TEA Nonpublic Day and Residential Schools and Off-Campus Programs Approved for Contracting Purposes
- Texas Health and Human Services - Search for Residential (24 hour Operation) Note: not all facilities in this directory are approved nonpublic residential programs for special education placement. This directory is provided as a resource to help LEAs verify facility compliance with licensing requirements.
- New! Locating LEA ABA for nonpublic residential applications
- Recommended Reintegration Plan
- Nonpublic Placement Notification and Application Checklist
- Nonpublic Placement Notification and Application Sample Cost Analysis
Nonpublic/Off-Campus Monitoring Resources
- LEA Assurance Checklist for Contracting with Nonpublic Schools/Off-Campus Programs and Record of Annual Visits
- LEA Student Folder Review for Nonpublic and Off-Campus Program Monitoring