Returning Accessible Materials
State-adopted accessible instructional materials (AIM) ordered through EMAT belong to the state. When a student is done using any braille or non-consumable large-print materials, they are considered surplus and must be shipped back to the Special Textbook Redistribution Center (STRC).
The window for returning surplus AIM is typically open from November through March each school year. Specific dates are announced in EMAT in the fall.
To return non-consumable, state-adopted AIM, a packing list and shipping label must be created through EMAT. The local education agency (LEA) will use a different process depending on the type of materials:
- Consumable large-print AIM
- Out-of-adoption AIM
- Damaged or missing AIM
Consumable Large-Print AIM
Some large-print items are considered consumable and do not need to be returned. To find out if an item is consumable, log into EMAT, go to the district start page, and follow these steps:
- Click “Reports.”
- Click “Item Search” and enter the ISBN without dashes or spaces.
- Click the “Item Details” icon that appears next to the large-print title.
- Scroll down to see which components are marked as consumables. Note: If an entire title is marked as consumable, it will be removed from the LEA’s inventory at the end of the school year.
EMAT cannot be used to print labels for materials that have gone out of adoption. Out-of-adoption materials are not listed in the LEA’s AIM inventory. These materials still need to be returned to the STRC and should be packed in separate boxes labeled “Out of Adoption.”
To obtain a mailing label for out-of-adoption materials or for assistance returning titles not listed in your AIM inventory, submit a Help Desk request.
Damaged or Missing AIM
When state-owned materials are lost, destroyed, or irreparably damaged, the LEA is responsible for the cost of replacing the materials. Log into EMAT and follow these steps:
- Click “Report Lost/Damaged/Destroyed.”
- Click “TEX-009 Lost or Damaged AIM.”
- Enter the volume(s) information, click “Save” and “Submit,” then print an invoice and mail it along with payment to TEA.
After payment is received, the missing AIM will be removed from the LEA’s inventory. If necessary, replacement volumes will be ordered and sent directly to the LEA so a complete set can be returned.
Non-consumable State-Adopted AIM
To return braille and non-consumable large-print state-adopted instructional materials, follow these steps:
1. Make sure sets are complete.
Check to ensure there are no missing volumes for each title. If a set is incomplete, follow the steps for damaged or missing items.
2. Package the items for shipping.
Carefully pack the instructional materials in boxes. Number each box (e.g., 1 of 20, 2 of 20, 3 of 20). Do not seal box number one; the packing list must be added to this box later. Securely tape all other boxes closed.
3. Create the packing list and shipping label(s).
Weigh each box. Then follow these steps to create the packing list and shipping label(s) in EMAT:
- On the district start page, click “Ship to STRC.” The system will display all titles eligible for shipment. Items are displayed in multiple list code (MLC) order.
- Select the box to the left of the MLC for the materials being returned. This opens the “Quantity to Ship” field. Enter the quantity; it should not exceed the “Available Quantity.” Repeat this step until all items to be shipped have updated on the screen.
- Click “Save Work.”
- When ready to submit the list, click “Ready to Ship to STRC.”
4. Choose a shipping method and print the label(s).
Follow instructions on the “Ship to the STRC” page for the appropriate shipping method:
- Shipments weighing 150 pounds or less: Choose “Click when Total Weight<=150 lbs.” Enter box count and weights; click “OK.” On the next screen, click “Get FedEx Labels” to print the shipping label(s) for FedEx shipments.
- Shipments weighing more than 150 pounds: Choose “Click when Total Weight>150 lbs.” Enter the total number of boxes to be shipped and the total weight of the shipment; click “OK.” Print a bill of lading for Central Freight shipments.
5. Print the packing list and place it in the box.
Click “Packing List” to print. Place the list in box number one and secure the box with tape.
6. Arrange to have materials picked up by the shipping carrier.
- FedEx shipments: Call 1-800-463-3339. To ensure correct billing, reference the TEA AIM account. Refer to EMAT for the current account number.
- Central Freight shipments: Call 1-800-782-5036. Advise the customer service representative that the shipment is to be billed to the TEA AIM account. (The account number does not need to be provided to Central Freight.)
Instructional Materials and Implementation Division
1701 North Congress Avenue, Room 3-110
Austin, Texas 78701-1494