Texas Advanced Placement (AP)/International Baccalaureate (IB) Incentive Program – State Exam Fee Subsidy for the 2022-2023 School Year
|September 22, 2022
|Texas Advanced Placement (AP)/International Baccalaureate (IB) Incentive Program – State Exam Fee Subsidy for the 2022-2023 School Year
|Share with AP and IB coordinators
The state subsidy provided through the Advanced Placement (AP)/International Baccalaureate (IB) Incentive Program for the May 2023 administration will be $39 for each AP and IB exam taken by an eligible student.
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) has provided subsidies for students taking AP and IB exams since 1993 with the enactment of the Advanced Placement Incentive Program. TEA is committed to ensuring AP and IB exams remain affordable for low-income students.
All students enrolled in a Texas public school may be considered for a subsidy, however, the eligibility of each student must be confirmed using published criteria. The criteria for qualifying for a Texas State subsidy is the same for both AP and IB exams and can be found here.
AP/IB Exam subsidy reimbursements:
- AP exam subsidies will be granted on the AP Program Invoice to be paid to the AP Program by June 15, 2023.
- On August 1, 2023, the College Board will invoice TEA for the 2023 AP exam fee subsidies credited on the campus AP Program Invoice.
- After reconciliation of the State invoice, TEA will reimburse the College Board’s AP Program for AP exam fee subsidies granted to districts on their June invoices.
- IB exam fee subsidies will be managed by each school and/or district. Each school or district may submit an IB exam fee reimbursement (subsidy) application during June 2023.
- The IB Subsidy Application will be available on TEA’s IB webpage by
May 1, 2023.
- The IB Student Exam Fee Subsidy Reimbursement application will be due to TEA by June 30, 2023.
Planning for the 2022-2023 school year:
The 2023 AP exam fee is $97. The College Board provides a $35 fee reduction per AP Exam taken by an eligible student. In addition, schools are expected to forgo their $9 administrative fee for these students. With the Texas subsidy of $39, the resulting cost of an AP exam taken by an eligible student is $14. IB exam fees are published here.
All AP exams will be ordered through the online AP Classroom. The preferred AP exam ordering deadline is October 4 with the final order deadline of November 15, 2022. If you have questions or need assistance, please visit TEA’s Advanced Academics website or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.