2020-2021 Teacher Shortage Areas and Loan Forgiveness Programs
|Date:||January 30, 2020|
|Subject:||2020-2021 Teacher Shortage Areas and Loan Forgiveness Programs|
|Next Steps:||Share with appropriate staff|
The United States Department of Education (ED) has approved the 2020-2021 teacher shortage areas submitted by the Texas Education Agency (TEA).
The approved state-level shortage areas for the 2020-2021 school year are:
- Bilingual/English as a Second Language – Elementary and Secondary Levels
- Special Education – Elementary and Secondary Levels
- Career and Technical Education – Secondary Levels
- Technology Applications and Computer Science – Elementary and Secondary Levels
- Mathematics – Secondary Levels
The approved shortage areas help administrators support the recruitment and retention of qualified teachers.
Loan Forgiveness Information
Federal, state, and public service loan forgiveness programs are available to teachers.
- All school personnel can take advantage of the public service program. Information can be found on the Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness page on the TEA website.
- Additional loan forgiveness options, including loan forgiveness for educators who are not classroom teachers, are found on the Student Loan Forgiveness for Teachers page on the TEA website. Additional loan forgiveness programs may or may not be affected by Texas shortage area designations.
Educators should contact their loan servicer for loan forgiveness information and the amount of loan forgiveness they are eligible to receive. The loan holder, not TEA, has authority regarding the provision of that allowance.
For additional information about teacher loan forgiveness, please email the Teacher Loan Forgiveness Team.
Educator Leadership and Quality