The Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program is one of three
loan forgiveness programs available to Texas teachers. If
you are not eligible for the federal program, please review the Teach for Texas Loan Repayment Assistance and the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
Your school must be found on the Teacher Cancellation Low Income (TCLI) Directory to be eligible for the Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program.
For your school to be
listed on the TCLI directory, it must be an eligible
Title I school serving 30% or more students with Title I funding. The economically disadvantaged status of a school does not ensure eligibility
in this program. For difficulties finding your school, use the state database on AskTED to determine how your school is listed in the TCLI directory.
Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Process
Follow these steps to complete the Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness process:
- Read the Eligibility Requirements for the Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program.
- Fill out an application if you are eligible.
- Note: The Teacher Loan Forgiveness Application is in the process of being cleared through the U.S.D.E. Office of Management and Budget. The current form with the July 31, 2017, expiration date will remain valid for use until the revised form has been approved and implemented.
- Have the chief administrative officer sign your application. The chief administrative officer is the current superintendent, principal, assistant principal, human resources personnel or director, or other equivalent at the district you are or were employed by.
- Print your school name exactly as it appears in the directory in AskTED.
Mail your application
to the entity repaying your loan, or guarantor. Print photocopies for yourself. Keep the date and
address of when and where you mailed your application.
Information about Guarantors
To find your guarantor, do one of the following:
Your guarantor makes a determination of your eligibility within 45 days of receipt of the
If you qualify for loan forgiveness, you receive notification of
this approval and your loan holder receives payment (for the forgiveness amount
you qualify for).
If you do not qualify for loan forgiveness, your guarantor notifies you of the denial with an explanation of why you did not