The Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program is one of three
loan forgiveness programs available to Texas teachers. If
you are not eligible for the federal program, please review the Teach for Texas Loan Repayment Assistance and the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
You can also contact your loan servicer for additional information. A loan servicer is a company that handles the billing and other services on your federal student loan.
Your school must be found on the Teacher Cancellation Low Income (TCLI) Directory to be eligible for the Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program.
Tips on Searching the TCLI Directory
To qualify for inclusion in the TCLI Directory, a campus must be located in a district that is eligible to receive Title I funds and the campus enrollment of economically disadvantaged students must be greater than 30%. The list is updated annually, so campus eligibility can change from year to year. The 2018-2019 data has not yet been reported and the directory should be updated by the middle of April 2019.
As long as the district remains eligible to receive Title 1 funds for the 2018-2019 school year, and the campus enrollment of economically disadvantaged students remains greater than 30%, it will be included in the 2018-2019 TCLI directory.
Before searching, make sure you are entering the name of the campus as it appears in the TEA ASK Ted district and school locator.
When searching the TCLI directory use just the first part of the name, for example, if the school is named Highland Park Elementary you would search the directory under “Highland”.
When searching by location leave the name of the school blank and enter the name of the county.
Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Process
Follow these steps to complete the Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness process:
- Read the eligibility requirements for the Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program.
- If you are eligible fill out the application found on Federal Student Aid website .
- Note: The Teacher Loan Forgiveness Application is in the process of being cleared through the U.S.D.E. Office of Management and Budget. The current form with the July 31, 2017, expiration date will remain valid for use until the revised form has been approved and implemented.
- Have the chief administrative officer sign your application. The chief administrative officer is the current superintendent, principal, assistant principal, human resources personnel or director, or other equivalent at the district you are or were employed by.
- Print your school name exactly as it appears in the directory in TCLI directory.
Mail your application
to the entity repaying your loan, or guarantor. Print photocopies for yourself. Keep the date and
address of when and where you mailed your application.
Information about Guarantors
To find your guarantor, do one of the following:
Your guarantor makes a determination of your eligibility within 45 days of receipt of the
If you qualify for loan forgiveness, you receive notification of
this approval and your loan holder receives payment (for the forgiveness amount
you qualify for).
If you do not qualify for loan forgiveness, your guarantor notifies you of the denial with an explanation of why you did not