Exemption of Texas tests for eligible individuals certified outside the state of Texas.
FAQ's for test exemptions
Individuals interested in seeking an exemption from required Texas examinations must submit:
- A review of credentials application and $164 fee, and all required documentation as indicated on the application.
- Official verification of tests taken for issuance of licensure outside of Texas. This may be submitted to TEA by either option below:
(a) Contact your state licensing agency so they can fill out the Verification of tests for test exemptions form, below:
(b) Submit official test score reports.
- Official test score reports sent directly from the testing company to TEA or
- Official test score reports in a sealed envelope, sent from the testing company to the educator and forwarded to TEA (scores that have been opened will not be accepted)
Verification of experience completed by the employing school, verifying required years of experience:
- Verification of accreditation is required if service was earned in a private school or in any school outside of the United States.
Certification earned based on experience or coursework does not exempt the educator from Texas tests.
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) tests are accepted for certification testing requirements in Texas. You must also hold a standard certificate in a corresponding subject area and grade level that was issued by your state department of education. You must request official verification of National Board Certified Teacher status by contacting NBPTS at Customer Support (800) 228-3224.