Out-of-State Certified Educators
You must apply for a review of credentials if you are seeking certification in Texas and you hold a standard certificate issued by another state or territory. A standard certificate is defined in TAC §230.111(c).
- Create an online account.
- Complete an application and pay the $164 non-refundable fee.
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges.
- Submit copies of all standard certificates.
- Submit proof of oral English language proficiency if your degree was earned outside the United States, including territories of the United States.
Important Note for Educators with Student Services or Administration Certification
If you hold a student services or administration certificate but do not hold a classroom teaching certificate, you will need to submit documentation of two years of acceptable school experience in the area of your certification. You must send acceptable documentation on an official verification of experience form, located on the Out-of-State Test Exemptions page.
Electronic Certificate Submissions
You may now submit your out-of-state certificate online. Out-of-Country documents will not be accepted electronically. Transcripts may not be submitted via our online system as they will be deleted and treated as spam.
- The application and fee for a review of credentials must be completed.
- TEA ID number must accompany all certificates.
- Complete the request form and upload the front and back of your out-of-state certificate as an attachment; only certificates will be accepted.
- We will not accept any transcripts sent from an educator; they will be deleted and treated as spam.
Allow up to 3 to 4 weeks to confirm receipt of documents submitted online.
Results of the Review
Once the review of credentials is completed you will receive the results by email. The email will include the required tests for standard certificates and your eligibility for a one-year non-renewable certificate.
If you were required to take tests to obtain the certificates that you submitted for the review of credentials, you may submit additional documentation for possible exemption of Texas tests. Out-of-state test scores will not be considered without a review of credentials.
Once you have completed the review of credentials, you may be issued a One-Year non-renewable certificate. You may apply for the One-Year certificate at the same time as your review of credentials or after the review of credentials has been completed. While your One-Year certificate is valid, you must complete one or both of the following options:
- Submit all required documents necessary to determine possible exemption of out-of-state tests to establish the standard certificate, based on your completed review of credentials.
- Complete all appropriate tests to establish the standard certificate if not exempted from required tests.
Certification Customer Service
Phone hours, 8 am-4:30 pm (CST)
Option 1 Educator Account Access
Option 2 Educator Certification
Option 3 Fingerprinting
Option 5 Educator Preparation Programs
Option 6 Investigations
Option 8 General Office Information
Testing questions: (512) 463-9039
Additional contact information