Additional Certification by Exam Information
If you hold a valid Texas classroom teaching certificate and a bachelor's degree you may add classroom certification areas by completing the appropriate examination. You must register for the test through the appropriate testing company. Once you have passed the test you must log in to your account, verify your scores and apply for the certificate.
Additional Certification by Examination Steps:
- The name on your certificate must match the photo I.D. you will show at the testing site. Email TEA to complete a name change if needed.
- Register for the exam with the appropriate testing company. TEA is not the testing company.
- Log in to your educator account, to verify your passing scores and select Applications.
- Select Additional Certification by Examination and complete the application.
- The new certificate area will be added to your existing certificate pending a clean background check.
Certification by Examination is Not Available for:
- Early Childhood: Prekindergarten-Grade 3
- Initial certification
- Teachers of Students with Visual Impairments
- A certificate other than classroom teacher (e.g. School Counselor, Principal, Superintendent, Learning Resources/School Librarian, Educational Diagnostician)
The Science of Teaching Reading (STR) Exam is additionally required if attempting to add any of the following areas:
- Core Subjects with Science of Teaching Reading: Early Childhood–Grade 6
- Core Subjects with Science of Teaching Reading: Grades 4–8
- English Language Arts and Reading with Science of Teaching Reading: Grades 4–8
- English Language Arts and Reading/Social Studies with Science of Teaching Reading: Grades 4–8
For required test and deadlines to apply for certification, please view the Required Texas Certification Tests chart.