Charter Schools - Renewals
Charter school renewals occur annually. A charter must petition for renewal five years after the charter is first awarded, and then every ten years thereafter. Rules outlining the renewal process are written in 19 TAC §100.1031 - Renewal of an Open-Enrollment Charter.
All schools seeking renewal must submit a renewal application petition. There are three categories of renewals: Expedited, Discretionary, and Expiration. Schools subject to Expedited criteria are automatically offered a renewal contract. Schools in the Discretionary category are subject to a greater level of scrutiny by the Texas Education Agency and other Texas agencies, including a site visit by Texas Education Agency staff. The charters of schools falling in the Expiration category are not renewed.
- Austin Discovery School (Expedited)
- Corpus Christi Montessori School (Expedited)
- El Paso Leadership Academy (Discretionary)
- Evolution Academy (Discretionary)
- Golden Rule Charter School (Expedited)
- Lighthouse Charter School (Discretionary)
- Montessori for All (Discretionary)
- School of Science and Technology (Expedited)
- The Excel Center (for Adults) (Discretionary)
- UTPB STEM Academy (Expedited)
If you have any questions about the information on this page, contact the Charter Authorizing Office by email at CharterSchools@tea.texas.gov or by phone at (512) 463-9575.