Charter Schools - Governance
This page contains information about the Annual Governance Reporting Form as well as training for board member and officer.
Board Member and Officer Training
Texas Education Code (TEC) §12.123 and Texas Administrative Code (TAC) §§ 100.1102 through 100.1105 set the training requirements.
Who Must be Trained
Commissioner Rules require that the following officials complete a training course (unless exemptions apply):
- members of the governing body of the charter holder
- members of the governing body of the charter school
- chief executive officers
- central administrative officers
- campus administrative officers
- business managers
When Must Training Occur
Officials at new charters must complete the required training within one calendar year. The signing of the charter contract marks the beginning date for that year. New officials at existing charters must also complete the required training within one calendar year of taking office.
After the initial training has been completed, continuing training is required annually thereafter, with the deadline being the anniversary date of the officials' start dates.
The course content and amount of training required differ for different types of officials. View a table (PDF, 117 KB) that outlines the required course content modules as well as the hours required for initial and continued training for each type of charter school officer. More information about training requirements is available in subsection (d) of 19 TAC §§ 100.1102 through 100.1105.
The curriculum outline (PDF, 32 KB) for the current training courses is available online.
Access a list of registered course providers. Sort the list by the “type” column to view those providers who have been approved to deliver training for charter schools because they have demonstrated their understanding of laws and rules related to charter schools.
The course provider sets the fee for a course or module of training. The provider may or may not provide some type of proof of completion to course participants. However, charter holders must document their compliance with TAC §§ 100.1102-100.1105 annually when governance reporting forms are submitted. These forms must list any officials who have not completed their training requirements.
Individuals or organizations that are interested in applying to be course providers can find more information on the TEA School Governance website.
Annual Governance Reporting Form
As required by Texas Education Code (TEC), §12.119(b), TEA collects information about charter school board members and school officers each year.
- Annual governance reporting forms are usually made available in September. All open-enrollment charter holders must submit governance reporting forms by December 1 of each year.
- Governance reporting forms are submitted electronically through the Charter School Tracking System (CSTS) in TEAL.
- One form must be completed for each board member and charter school officer.
- The charter school superintendent must approve all forms in order to complete the submission process.
- For detailed instructions about completing the Annual Governance Reporting Form, refer to the guidelines (PDF, 111 KB). Please also review the correspondence (PDF, 153 KB) sent to all charter school superintendents regarding the governance process.
If you have any questions about the information on this page, contact the Charter Authorizing Office at (512) 463-9575.