Visiting International Teachers
TEA’s visiting international teacher program promotes inter-culturalism between Texas and other countries. Both countries have the opportunity to foster and show appreciation of the cultures shared by each community. Our mission is to support foreign educators coming to Texas to teach, study, conduct research, demonstrate special skills and share teaching practices and experiences.
Out of country certified educators who are actively participating in a TEA approved J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program may be eligible to receive the visiting international teacher certificate. The visiting international teacher certificate is valid for three years and may be extended two additional years, for a maximum total of five years, for all candidates actively enrolled in and in good standing with a Visiting International Teacher Program.
TEA Approved J-1 Visa Exchange Program Sponsors
Teachers participating in the programs listed below may be eligible for issuance of the Visiting International Teacher certificate.
HTP J-1 Visa Programs (Effective July 1, 2023)
Global Ambassador Programs (Effective July 1, 2023)
J-1 Visa Exchanges, Inc. (Effective July 1, 2023)
International Expert Resources (Effective July 1, 2023)
Cultural Vistas (Effective July 1, 2023)
If you are a J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program officially approved by the United States Department of State and would like your visiting teachers to be issued a Texas visiting international teacher certificate, please submit your request to the TEA Help Desk. New applicants must apply before June 30 to be eligible for the upcoming school year.
J-1 Visa Exchange Programs seeking a no objection letter for visa sponsorship must submit a request to the TEA Help Desk.
District Staff Information
Only approved school districts who are partnered with a TEA approved J-1 Visa Exchange Program have access to submit the VIT application via the Educator Certification Online System for Entities. For assistance with accessing the VIT application, please submit your request to the TEA Help Desk.
Visiting Teacher Requirements
Requirements verified by the visitor program
- Meet requirements in the Texas Administrative Code (TAC) 230.11
- Visiting teachers must hold a valid credential from another country and equivalent to a bachelor’s degree or higher in the United States
- Demonstrate oral English language proficiency
- Demonstrate subject matter competence in the subject area they are teaching
Requirements for certificate issuance
- Teachers must obtain a social security number to complete fingerprinting and background check
- VIT Online Application (submitted by employing ISD)
- $78.00 application fee
- $40.25 fingerprinting fee
- Copy of DS-2019 or a formal letter issued by the J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program
|School Year||Total VIT Certificates Issued|