Assessment Reports and Studies
You can find Student Assessment related reports and studies on this page. If you cannot find what you need, please refer to the Student Assessment A–Z Directory or contact the Student Assessment Division at (512) 463-9536. The links below open Portable Document Format (PDF) files unless noted otherwise.
Links below lead to technical digests for the years listed:
Optional 2020 End-of-Year and Beginning-of-Year Assessment Results
After the cancellation of the end of school year 2019–20 State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR®) tests due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Texas Education Agency (TEA) offered optional end-of-year (EOY) and beginning-of-year (BOY) assessments so schools could measure how well students learned during the period of disruption to normal classroom instruction. The Texas Education Agency (TEA) is not using data from the optional assessments for any accountability purposes. Results for individual students and campuses were used by school systems and teachers to plan and implement any necessary instructional adjustments for the 2020-21 school year. Aggregate results of the data were used in this research study.
- Optional STAAR EOY and BOY Results (PDF posted 01/14/21)
House Bill 3, 86th Texas Legislature, 2019, STAAR Study
House Bill 3, 86th Texas Legislature, 2019, required the Commissioner of Education to enter a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with a public institution of higher education to conduct a study on the state assessment instruments to independently evaluate the readability and alignment. The Texas Education Agency (TEA) entered into an agreement with The University of Texas at Austin to conduct the study of the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR®) grades 3–8 tests administered during the 2018–2019 and 2019–2020 school years. Part I of the report covers the spring 2019 STAAR tests, and Part II of the report covers the spring 2020 STAAR tests.
- 2019 STAAR Study Report Part I (updated 02/03/20)
- 2019 STAAR Study Report Part II (posted 02/03/20)
- STAAR Study Protocol (posted 02/04/20)
The Independent Evaluation of the Validity and Reliability of the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) Assessments in grades 3-8, Parts 1 and 2
Part 1 contains the evaluation of STAAR assessments for grades 5 and 8 mathematics and reading, and grades 4 and 7 writing. Part II of the report, due May 2016, will include the remaining assessments administered in grades 3-8.
1. Summary of Part 1, grades 5 and 8 mathematics and reading, and grades 4 and 7 writing
2. Part 1 of the independent evaluation, finding support for the validity and reliability of the assessments for grades 5 and 8 mathematics and reading, and grades 4 and 7 writing
3. Part 2 contains the evaluation of all grades 3-8 STAAR assessments, including the Part 1 report (grades 5 and 8 mathematics and reading, and grades 4 and 7 writing).
4. The addendum to the HumRRO evaluation contains the grades 3-8 item level results for all Items with at least one reviewer rating of partially or not aligned.
Use the links below to access EOC reports and studies:
- Grade Correlation Study (2016-2017 STAAR Biology)
- Grade Correlation Study (2018-2019 STAAR English I)
Use the links below to access EL reports and studies:
- 2019 TELPAS Writing Audit Report
- 2016 TELPAS Writing Audit Report
- TELPAS Listening and Speaking Cognitive Lab Summary Report
- 2011 TELPAS Listening and Speaking Audit Report
Lexile Linking Study