By taking advantage of Ed-Flex, LEAs can design and implement programs in ways that best meet the needs of their students and communities. Texas has been approved as an Ed-Flex State under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). The state’s Ed-Flex authority is effective through the 2023-2024 school year.
TEA Overview of Ed-Flex and Different Types of Waivers Available
Statewide Administrative Waivers
Statewide administrative Ed-Flex waivers address regulations governing applications for funds and certain recording keeping provisions. These administrative waivers are automatically granted to LEAs applying for federal funds covered by Ed-Flex.
Statewide Programmatic Waivers
Statewide programmatic waivers address design and delivery of federal programs covered under Ed-Flex. Statewide programmatic waivers must be applied for through the Local Education Agency’s original ESSA Consolidated Application for Federal Funds. The two statewide programmatic waivers are:
- Schoolwide Eligibility Waiver (Supporting Documentation form--Required)
- 15% Carryover Limitation Waiver (Initiated by Grants staff, if applicable)
Individual Programmatic Waivers
Individual Programmatic Waivers may be requested for a period of one to three years. Applications for Individual Programmatic Waivers will be accepted on an ongoing basis. Completed applications will be considered by the state’s Ed-Flex Committee according to the following schedule:
- Applications received by June 1 will be considered at the Committee’s June meeting.
- Applications received after June 1 will be considered at a future meeting.
- The committee meeting schedule is available on the Title I Committee of Practitioners web page.
Questions concerning Ed-Flex waivers should be directed to ESSASupport@tea.texas.gov.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact the Federal Program Compliance Division at ESSAsupport@tea.texas.gov.