Emergency Assistance to Non-Public Schools (EANS) Grant Program
The Emergency Assistance to Non-Public Schools (EANS) grant is part of the Governor’s Emergency Education Relief (GEER) II Fund, authorized by the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations (CRRSA) Act signed into law in December 2020. EANS provides funding for services to nonpublic schools suffering the impact of COVID-19.
Allowable uses of EANS funding include costs associated with safely reopening schools, continuing instruction, addressing learning loss, supporting educational technology and reimbursing for certain coronavirus-related costs. Funds may be used for pre-award costs dating back to March 13, 2020, when the COVID-19 national emergency was declared, and must be obligated by September 30, 2023.
Texas EANS Application
The Texas EANS application is available from the following link:
Refer to the following errata notice for changes to the grant application:
- Errata Notice #1: Last day for schools to receive services
Refer to the EANS Grant Program FAQ for answers to common questions.
TEA staff has prepared a training presentation with an overview of the EANS grant and guidance in completing the grant application. In addition, the video from the April 7, 2021, training includes guidance on the grant program and the application process.
Low-Income Determination Data
Free- and Reduced-Price Lunch Income Eligibility Criteria: This information may be helpful to private schools in determining local low income data that is aligned to National Free- and Reduced-Price Lunch eligibility data.
Title I Campus List by District Name, with Low Income Student Percentage: This information can be used by private schools using the proportionality method to determine their number of low income students.
How to Receive EANS Information Directly from TEA
Information will be shared through TEPSAC and TPSA and through TEA's private nonprofit school (PNP) email list. If you are not on our email list for private schools, you may join at the Texas Education Agency Updates page by following these steps:
- Choose your subscription type (the way you would like to receive updates).
- Enter your email address or text information and click "Submit."
- On the lengthy list of available topics that opens, scroll down to the bolded Texas Schools heading.
- Check the box next to Private Nonprofit (PNP) Schools.
- Click Submit at the bottom of the page.
- 02/26/2021: TEA receives EANS award from USDE
- 03/22/2021: TEA publishes EANS website
- 03/26/2021: TEA releases EANS application to PNPs; TEA notifies PNPs through email via the PNP listserv and TEPSAC/TPSA
- 05/28/2021: PNP applications due to TEA; TEA must approve/deny PNP applications within 30 days of receipt
- 06/25/2021: Last day for TEA to approve PNP applications; final amounts of services announced
- 08/23/2021: Approved PNPs will begin to receive services, if not before, from the contracted public entity selected by TEA
- 09/30/2023: Last day for PNPs to receive services under EANS
The USDE Department of Education (USDE) publishes a FAQ on the EANS grant program, which is linked to the USDE's main EANS page. The FAQ addresses issues related to PNP eligibility (Section C) and types of services and assistance available (Section D).