Prekindergarten Registration Information (22-23)
Find My District/Charter
Families/Caregivers: The State of Texas provides free prekindergarten for eligible students. The table below shows districts and charters that have shared their prekindergarten registration schedule and a link to help with the registration process. If the district or charter you are looking for isn't in the table below, you can look up its contact information on the AskTED website.
Districts/Charters: If you'd like to have your prekindergarten registration information added to the table below, please complete this information form.
click on the district or charter name for more information or to register
District or Charter
|2022-2023 Prekindergarten Registration Date(s)|
|ALLEN ISD||Enrollment for the 2022-2023 school year opens April 1st.|
|ARLINGTON ISD||PK registration opens April 1st|
|AUSTIN ISD||Pre-K registration is ongoing in Austin ISD. Austin Independent School District Enrollment Page|
|AUSTWELL-TIVOLI ISD||School days during May.|
|BROWNSVILLE ISD||After August 1st for back to school|
|CEDARS INTERNATIONAL ACADEMY||Registration begins January 27. If we have more students applying for a grade than we have space, then a lottery for that grade level will be held. Accepted applicants will be notified by email and will be sent a link to complete the registration process. If the Registration forms are not received within 7 days from the acceptance date, the spot will be given to the next student on the waiting list. Please submit a NEW STUDENT Admissions Application on the Cedars International application page.|
|CLEAR CREEK ISD||
|CONROE ISD||For more details visit the Conroe Independent School District Early Childhood web page.|
|DESOTO ISD||Monday-Friday (7AM-5PM)|
|DODD CITY ISD||Please see registration information on the Elementary page of the Dodd City district website.|
|EAGLE MT-SAGINAW ISD||Pre-K registration is ongoing in Eagle Mountain Saginaw ISD. Application for prekindergarten is open and can be completed by visiting the website.|
|EAST FORT WORTH MONTESSORI ACADEMY|
|ECTOR COUNTY ISD||To learn more, please visit our webpage.|
|EDGEWOOD ISD||Online registration is on-going from April 1 through the end of the school year.|
|EDUCATION CENTER INTERNATIONAL ACADEMY||Enrollment opens April 1|
|FORT BEND ISD|
|FORT WORTH ISD||
April 1 registration opens, and families can receive report in-person on campus or by texting or calling 817-500-0381.
For information and other Pre-K community events, visit the Fort Worth prekindergarten web page.
|HAMSHIRE-FANNETT ISD||Online registration for PreKindergarten and Kindergarten is ongoing as of April 21, 2022. We also offer a Tuition-Based PreKindergarten for students who do not meet the eligibility qualifications for Non-Tuition-Based PreKindergarten. For additional information please go to the registration page at hfisd.net or contact Hamshire-Fannett Elementary at (409) 794-1412.|
|HOUSTON ISD||We will also have the hotline 713-556-6734 and online bookings available at the Houston Independent School District prekindergarten fair web page for one-on-one support.|
|HOUSTON GATEWAY ACADEMY||Registration began March 1, 2022.|
|HUTTO ISD||Online Registration|
|KIPP TEXAS PUBLIC SCHOOLS||KIPP Texas accepts applications all year. Registration for the following school year always begins on April 1.|
|KRUM ISD||Prekindergarten/Kindergarten enrollment for the 2022-2023 school year opens April 5th.|
|LA FERIA ISD|
|LA GRANGE ISD||Registration will be open after this event to enroll for the fall|
|LANCASTER ISD||Online registration for PreK & new to the district Kindergarten students opens on April 1.|
|LEANDER ISD||Families are encouraged to fill out the PreK application online on the registration page. Please see our prekindergarten information web page for more information about PreK.|
|LEWISVILLE ISD||LISD continues to enroll PreK eligible students throughout the spring and during the summer weeks.|
|LIBERTY HILL ISD||Online registration|
|LUBBOCK ISD||Lubbock ISD Head Start/PreK enrollment is open NOW! We would like to welcome your child to our Lubbock ISD Early Childhood Family!|
|MESQUITE ISD||PreK 3 and PreK 4 Round-Up begins on April 1st! We offer free Half Day Pre-K 3 and Full Day Pre-K 4 for students who are eligible. We also offer limited tuition-based Pre-K for students who do not meet the eligibility qualifications on a first come first serve basis.|
|MIAMI ISD||More information will be posted on the Miami Independent School District website.|
|NORTH LAMAR ISD|
|PINE TREE ISD||Pine Tree Primary School is searching for students who may be eligible for our prekindergarten and kindergarten programs for the 2022-2023 school year. Please share this information with any families you think might be eligible. Official registration will begin later this spring . Families can fill out a Prekindergarten program interest form. Completing the Future Pirates Preregistration Information will grant families early access to the registration application when it opens.|
|PLANO ISD||Visit the Plano prekindergarten page for information on how to complete the application.|
|QUINLAN ISD||Registration for 2022-2023 opened May 3, 2022.|
|THE RHODES SCHOOL||1/1/2022 - 5/31/2022|
|ROUND ROCK ISD||PK registration opens July 5, 2022|
|SAN ANTONIO ISD||Campuses will be open during regular business hours to help parents with the PreK and Head Start PreK application / registration process in-person, via telephone and on-line. For additional information contact the SAISD Office of Access and Enrollment Services at 210-554-2660 or the Early Childhood Education Department at 210-554-2410.|
|SCHULENBURG ISD||Starting May 16, 2022, Schulenburg Elementary will be accepting PK registrations in the office from 9:00am-3:00pm Monday thru Thursday. The office is located at: 300 Bucek Street Schulenburg, Texas 78956|
|SPLENDORA ISD||Campus Appointments (Call your zoned campus)|
|SOUTH SAN ANTONIO ISD||Online applications for both PreK and Head Start classrooms are currently being accepted for the 2022 - 2023 school year. Children who will be 3 or 4 years of age before or on Sept 1st are encouraged to apply. Reserve your spot now!|
|THRALL ISD||Please contact the Elementary office to schedule a time to come in and register your Pre-K or Kindergarten child. 512-898-5293|
|UNION GROVE ISD|
|VARNETT PUBLIC SCHOOL||Pre-K registration is ongoing in The Varnett Public School Enroll Now (281) 800 - 4944|
|VIDOR ISD||On-campus student registration begins May 6th and continues throughout the summer.|
|WAXAHACHIE FAITH FAMILY ACADEMY||Ongoing|
|WEST SABINE ISD|
Is My Child Eligible?
Statute: TEC §29.153 (b)
Resources: Student Attendance and Accounting Handbook (SAAH), Section 7.2 & 3.5
To be eligible for enrollment in a free prekindergarten class, a child must be at least three years of age on or before September 1 of the current school year (if a 3-year-old program is available) or four years of age on or before September 1 of the current school year and meet at least one of the following eligibility requirements:
- unable to speak and comprehend the English language
- is educationally disadvantaged (eligible to participate in the national school lunch program... guidelines about NSLP eligibility can be found in sections 4 and 6 of the Texas Department of Agriculture’s Administrators Reference Manual)
- is homeless, as defined by 42 USC, §11434a, regardless of the residence of the child, of either parent of the child, or of the child's guardian or other person having lawful control of the child
- is the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority
- is the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty
- is or has ever been in the conservatorship of the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (foster care) following an adversary hearing held as provided by Family Code §262.201 or has been in foster care in another state or territory, but currently lives in Texas
- is the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as:
- a peace officer under Texas Government Code §3106.002
- a firefighter under Texas Government Code §3106.003
- an emergency medical first responder under Texas Government Code §3106.004
Eligibility applies to three-year-olds when a three-year-old program is available.
A district must verify a student’s eligibility for pre-k in order to receive funding for the pre-k program. Districts must have the verification document as well as any required documentation on file for their records.
- Each district offering a prekindergarten program must develop a system to notify families with eligible children of the availability of the program TEC §29.153(e). Notice must be made in English and Spanish. The following sources can be used for prekindergarten notification:
- Letter of notification sent home with students
- Identification systems in place at times of registration of older siblings
- Newspaper articles o Notices in public places o Radio announcements
- Display on school marquee
- Community newsletters
- Social media announcements
- Students may not be denied or excluded from participating in a prekindergarten program for any reason if they are deemed eligible TEC §29.153 (b).
- “Child” includes stepchild. The stepchild is eligible for pre-k enrollment whether or not the child resides in the same household as the stepparent. Student Attendance and Accounting Handbook, Section 7.2.1
- Once a student is determined to be eligible for pre-k, the student remains eligible for the remainder of the current school year in the district in which he or she resides or is otherwise entitled to attend for Foundation School Program benefits.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why isn't my child eligible for prekindergarten?
The Texas Legislature determines eligibility requirements for free, public prekindergarten in Texas. When the Texas legislature established the prekindergarten program the intent was, and still is, to provide early learning experiences to students who are most at risk for school failure. Therefore, the eligibility is limited. The legislature believed that a high-quality prekindergarten program could mitigate the impact of the at-risk characteristics, thereby assisting these students to become school ready when they enter kindergarten.
Does my child have to go to prekindergarten if he or she is eligible?
No. Prekindergarten is not mandatory. However, on enrollment in prekindergarten, a child must attend school. All students are subject to compulsory school attendance rules while they are enrolled in school. If a child has not reached 6 years of age as of September 1 of the current school year, the child may be withdrawn from school without violating compulsory attendance rules. TEC §25.085(c), SAAH, Section 3.5
Are districts required to serve three-year-olds who are eligible?
No. A district may offer prekindergarten classes if the district identifies 15 or more eligible children who are at least three years of age. A child who is three years old is eligible for prekindergarten only if the district operates a three-year-old prekindergarten program. TEC §29.153(a), SAAH, Section 7.2
May districts keep "waiting lists" of eligible children who are not being served?
No, not for eligible four-year-olds. By law, a school district must offer prekindergarten classes if it identifies 15 or more children who are eligible and are four years of age by September 1 of the current school year. If a district offers a program for eligible three-year-old students, a waiting list or lottery for three-year-olds only may be established under district policy. TEC §29.153(a)
Is it necessary to verify/qualify a four-year-old student for PK who was eligible and enrolled in PK as a three- year-old student?
LEAs are still required to do their normal qualification process for previously enrolled three-year-old students, even though they would automatically qualify for PK based on their qualification and enrollment as three-year- old PK students. The PEIMS qualification code of automatic eligibility is a code of last resort and is only to be used if a student does not qualify for PK in any other way.
Is a child who was in foster care in a state other than Texas, but is now living in Texas, eligible for prekindergarten?
Yes, HB 725 extends prekindergarten eligibility to Texas children who are or have been in foster care in another state or territory.
What documentation is required to verify prekindergarten eligibility for a child who is currently or has previously been in foster care in another state or territory?
Acceptable documentation to verify prekindergarten eligibility include:
- Foster care documents stating closure of a case
- Court documents stating “state foster care” involvement
- Adoption paperwork completed by the originating state
What documentation is required to verify prekindergarten eligibility for a child who is currently or has previously been in foster care in Texas?
Acceptable documentation to verify prekindergarten eligibility for children who have been in foster care in Texas include:
- DFPS foster/kinship placement documentation
- PreK verification letter (this letter can be requested by sending the child’s full name and date of birth to: Prekverificationltrs@dfps.texas.gov)