Statewide Listening Tour for Work-Based Learning and STEM
TEA is excited to announce that the College and Career and Military Preparation (CCMP) Division is conducting a statewide listening tour to inform the development of a new state plan required for the Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act (Perkins V), and the development of statewide frameworks for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) education and Work-Based Learning (WBL). Starting in December 2018 and continuing through May 2019, the team hopes to gather information and feedback from stakeholders across the state on the major components of Perkins V, as well as current challenges and areas of success around implementing and expanding high-quality STEM and Work-Based Learning to all students in Texas.
We are working with our Regional Education Service Centers to host a series of two-day events with stakeholders from K-12, industry, postsecondary institutions, and parents. Our current itinerary from December 2018 through May 2019 can be seen below; if your region is not currently on the schedule but you are interested in having us visit, please contact us to find a convenient time. We currently have not planned any summer visits out of respect for ESC training calendars but are happy to add summer dates by request. Please note that these in-person sessions are only one avenue for you to offer feedback – CCMP will also be distributing related content in survey form at a future time to allow stakeholders to engage with us. Below is the agenda for each visit:
- 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM Educational Site Visits/Site Tours - TEA will tour campuses in each region that have either implemented or have an interest in Career and Technical Education, Work-Based Learning, and/or STEM programs.
- 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM Room #1 Parent Meeting - TEA will engage parents in a face-to-face meeting to seek input on STEM education and WBL opportunities.
- 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM Room #2 Workforce and Institutions of Higher Education Meeting - The team will meet with institutions of higher education and workforce representatives to gather information and feedback around creating meaningful cross-sector partnerships and ensuring students are successful in postsecondary endeavors.
- 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM Work-Based Learning & STEM Listening Session with Educators - The team will meet with K-12 district administrators, specialists, counselors, and designated teachers to gather input about STEM and WBL framework development (Click here for a copy of the slides).
- 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM Career and Technical Education Listening Session with Educators - The team will meet with K-12 district administrators, specialists, counselors, and designated teachers to discuss Programs of Study and seek input on the major components of Perkins V.
Day 1 – 6:30 PM – 7:30 PM
Day 2 – 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
|December 4-5||ESC Region 20, San Antonio|
|December 11-12||ESC Region 15, San Angelo|
|January 17-18||ESC Region 19, El Paso|
|January 22-23||ESC Region 14, Abilene|
|February 5-6||ESC Region 5, Beaumont|
|February 19-20||ESC Region 6, Huntsville|
|February 27-28||ESC Region 1, Edinburg|
|March 5-6||ESC Region 10, Dallas|
|March 7-8||ESC Region 11, White Settlement|
|March 26-27||ESC Region 18, Midland|
|March 28-29||ESC Region 16, Amarillo|
|April 2-3||ESC Region 8, Pittsburg|
|April 16-17||ESC Region 2, Corpus Christi|
|April 25-26||ESC Region 13, Austin|
|April 29-30||ESC Region 4, Houston|
|May 7-8||ESC Region 12, Waco|
College, Career, and Military Preparation
Texas Education Agency
1701 North Congress Avenue
Austin, Texas 78701-1401