Application and Selection Process
Best Practices and Tips for Applying
- Make sure you meet the minimum education and experience required for the role
- Include the minimum years of experience required for the role in the work experience section of your application
- Ensure all requested attachments are included and marked “Relevant”
- Apply for roles that meet your expected salary range – we do not have much room for negotiation and in most cases the top range posted is the maximum salary
You can learn more about how to complete an application at How to Apply for Employment at TEA and view our available opportunities.
You’ve Applied, What’s Next?
- Applications that meet the minimum education/experience requirements will be shared with the hiring manager within 24-48 hours of your submission. Applications submitted on the weekends will be shared on the next available weekday.
- Most hiring processes include a phone interview, pre-interview activity, and panel interview.
- The full hiring process (from posting date to offer) on average is 70 days.
- Due to the high volume of applications, we do not accept telephone calls and cannot reply to all email inquiries. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly by the hiring division.
You can learn more about how to complete an application and you can view our available opportunities.
On average, it takes 70 days to fill a position. If you are selected for an interview, the division will contact you directly.
Due to the volume of applications, we do not provide a status update. Candidates can look up their status for an application by logging in to CAPPS. If you are marked “Under Consideration” your application is still in the process. If you are marked “Not Selected” your application is no longer being considered for the position.
There are two steps that are required to save your application as a draft. It sounds like you may have missed one of the steps and the save was not completed. As you are going through the application process, you can continue clicking “Save as Draft” which is recommend after each step in the application process. If you need to log out completely (before completing your application), there is one additional popup window that requires you to save your work before exiting. If you miss that step, then your work will not be saved.
With CAPPS, you can update your application when the job submission is tied to an open position. For best practices, wait until you are ready to apply for an actual position and make your edits at that time. CAPPS operates differently from the Government Jobs website and the WorkInTexas website. On those sites, you can make updates to your job history, reference, etc. without applying for a position.
- Log into TEA's CAPPS Job Openings.
- Whenever your account is locked, wait five minutes and it will be unlocked automatically.
- If you are requesting a password reset, the information will go to your original email that you used to set up the account. We have found that when a new password is sent, sometimes the new password comes faster than the system actually resets. So, after resetting your password, wait 10 minutes before attempting to log in (so that you don’t get locked out again).
- If all else fails, please reach out to SSA.email@example.com for further assistance.
Please note: TEA's Division of Human Resources cannot retrieve username and password information or reset your password.
Division of Human Resources
1701 North Congress Ave.
Austin, TX 78701