TEA Finalizes Selection of 24 Additional Teachers to Teacher Vacancy Task Force
First Meeting as a Complete Group to Be Held on June 2
AUSTIN, Texas – May 18, 2022 – Today, the Texas Education Agency (TEA) announced the selection of 24 additional teachers to the Teacher Vacancy Task Force, acting on an expansion recommendation made by the Task Force during its first meeting on March 10.
The addition of these 24 educators expands the teacher-chaired Task Force to 52 members, with 26 teachers and 26 school system administrators constituting the membership of a statewide task force charged with identifying solutions to address ongoing school staffing challenges.
The culmination of an intensive, nearly two-months long selection process, these new members join a group that looks like Texas and is rich in expertise (hundreds of years of combined teaching experience), unique perspectives, and classroom experiences. TEA received more than 1,500 nominations for task force membership during the submission period.
Emphasizing a key point which he has made throughout his years leading public education in the Lone Star State, Texas Education Commissioner Mike Morath said, “Teachers are the single most important school-based factor affecting student outcomes. And the Teacher Vacancy Task Force will further ensure our ability to provide the best guidance, support, and resources to help schools find and retain the teachers they need for all their students. Having these two-dozen additional perspectives from a diverse and talented pool of Texas classroom teachers is going to immensely benefit the important considerations before the Task Force.”
New Teacher Members Selected to the Teacher Vacancy Task Force:
- Linda Galvan – Los Fresnos United, Los Fresnos CISD (High School English 1 & 2, SPED/Resource, ESL)
- Cynthia Hopkins – Kaffie Middle School, Corpus Christi ISD (7th & 8th Grade Science)
- Kimberly Davis – Goliad Middle School, Goliad ISD (7th Grade ELAR, 6th-8th Grade Gifted and Talented)
- Vania Amado – Lula Belle Goodman Elementary, Fort Bend ISD (4th Grade Bilingual ELAR & Social Studies)
- Changela Burns – Summer Creek High School, Humble ISD (High School English 1)
- Sadie Atha – East Chambers High School, East Chambers ISD (High School English 3 & 4, AP Literature)
- Cody Knott – Caldwell High School, Caldwell ISD (6th-12th Grade Band Director, Fine Arts Director)
- Brian Kruk – Pineywoods Community Academy | Lufkin, Texas (High School Government/Economics, Coach)
- Joshua Sciara – DeKalb Middle School, DeKalb ISD (7th Grade Science, 6th-8th Grade STEAM, 8th Grade CTE Horticulture)
- Alexandra Fain – Booker T. Washington Elementary, Wichita Falls ISD (3rd Grade ELAR)
- Josue Tamarez Torres* – Cesar Chavez Learning Center, Dallas ISD (4th & 5th Grade Bilingual Math)
- Eric Hale – David G. Burnet Elementary, Dallas ISD (1st & 2nd Grade Self-Contained)
- Tiffany Kilcoyne – Hurst Junior High School, Hurst-Euless-Bedford ISD (7th Grade English)
- Pam Fischer – Provident Heights Elementary, Waco ISD (PreK-5th Grade Physical Education)
- Valerie Haywood – Bastrop Middle School, Bastrop ISD (6th-8th Grade ESL)
- Jennifer Kuehne – Patsy Sommer Elementary, Round Rock ISD (K-5th Grade Special Education)
- Faye Urich – Haskell Elementary School, Haskell CISD (Early Childhood Special Education, PreK-3rd Grade)
- Tiffany Klaerner – Mason Elementary School, Mason ISD (PreK)
- Kisaundra Harris – Tascosa High School, Amarillo ISD (High School Anatomy and Physiology, Forensic Science)
- Natasha Garcia – Akin Elementary, Hale Center ISD (1st Grade Self-Contained)
- Raymond Falcón – Matthews Academy, Lubbock ISD (High School Algebra 1 & 2, Geometry, Mathematical Models, Spanish 1 & 2)
- Suzanne Kirkland – Forsan JR/SR High School, Forsan ISD (Business Information Management)
- Sergio Estrada – Riverside High School, Ysleta ISD (AP Physics)
- Janie Coheen – Elolf Elementary School, Judson ISD (PreK)
*Task Force Chair
The Task Force will convene for its first meeting as a complete group on June 2.
For more information, please visit the Teacher Vacancy Taskforce web page, or send an email to: TEATeacherVacancyTaskForce@tea.texas.gov.