House Bill 3 (HB3) Implementation: Reading Practices Update
December 5, 2019
|Subject:||House Bill 3 (HB3) Implementation: Reading Practices Update|
Early Childhood Education
Action required of LEA: Share with appropriate staff;
House Bill (HB) 3 was passed by the 86th Texas Legislature, 2019, and signed into law by Governor
Abbott on June 11, 2019. The following areas within HB 3 specifically relate to reading practices:
- The Science of Teaching Reading (STR) exam (TEC Sec. 21048 (a-2))
- Reading Standards for Kindergarten Through Third Grade (TEC Sec. 28.0062(a))
- o Literacy Academies
- o Certified Practices
- Phonics curriculum
- Placement of highly effective teachers
- Integrated reading instruments
- Reading Advisory Board
On September 12, 2019, the agency released a HB 3 in 30 Reading Practices webinar focusing on the bullets above, along with a PowerPoint and related materials. Visit tea.texas.gov/hb3 to watch the Reading Practices webinar.
HB 3 Reading Practices Updates
- A recap of the Reading Academies models
- Details regarding Authorized Providers including final costs
- A new method for implementing HB 3 Reading Academies in partnership with an Authorized Provider
Reading Academies Authorized Providers
A Reading Academies Authorized Provider is an entity—educational service center, local educational agency, institute of higher learning, or other non-profit—that is formally approved by TEA to provide Reading Academies. All Reading Academy Providers must be formally authorized and approved by TEA based on a set of baseline requirements. Eligible providers include ESCs, districts and external organizations.
The agency has released a noncompetitive grant eligible to all Education Service Centers to become a Reading Academies Authorized Provider. See the TEA Grant Opportunities page for more information.
Non-ESC entities may apply to be an Authorized Provider through a competitive application process. Eligible entities may visit the Reading Practices web page to access the application and submit a Notice of Intent to Apply to become a Non-ESC Reading Academies Authorized Provider. Entities must demonstrate capacity to execute Reading Academies at time of application.
To be approved as an Authorized Provider, an entity MUST agree to:
- Provide and facilitate HB 3 Reading Academies, including registration, logistical support, and technical assistance.
- Follow and implement HB 3 Reading Academies content as designed by TEA.
- Ensure all Cohort Leaders pass mandatory hiring screen before leading sessions.
- Attend mandatory training as determined by TEA.
- Coordinate and fund travel for all Cohort Leaders.
- Conduct program evaluation as determined by TEA.
- Communicate and respond to TEA information requests.
- Conduct outreach to publicize HB 3 Reading Academies.
Non-ESC entities must demonstrate the capacity to offer four Comprehensive AND eight Blended Cohorts.
On the following timeline, TEA will… December
All updated information will be posted on the Reading Practices site at www.tea.texas.gov/reading
Resources to support HB 3 Reading Practices
- Reading Practices website
- HB 3 in 30 video and PowerPoint (September 12, 2019)
- HB 3 Reading Practices FAQs
- HB 3 in 30 Reading Practices Updates (November 21, 2019)