Dyslexia Screening Exception Reason in the Texas Student Data System (TSDS)
|Date:||March 31, 2022|
|Subject:||Dyslexia Screening Exception Reason in the Texas Student Data System (TSDS)|
|Category:||Dyslexia Risk Screening Exception Reason|
|Next Steps:||Share with appropriate local educational agency and education service center staff|
Local educational agencies (LEAs) annually screen kindergarten and first grade students for dyslexia and report the results by selecting a dyslexia screening code in the Texas Student Data System (TSDS). However, when code 03 is selected (i.e., “Not screened for dyslexia or related disorders”), LEAs cannot identify the specific reason a student was not screened. Going forward from school year (SY) 2022–2023, LEAs will now be able to indicate the reason a student was not screened for dyslexia.
Dyslexia Screening Exception Reason
The Texas Education Agency (TEA), per its obligation under Texas Education Code (TEC) §38.003(a), requires LEAs to screen kindergarten and first grade students for dyslexia. LEAs report screening results to the TSDS using the DYSLEXIA-RISK-CODE (E1644) data element, as defined by code table C222:
- Code 01 - Screened and determined to be not at risk for dyslexia or related disorders
- Code 02 - Screened and determined to be at risk for dyslexia or related disorders
- Code 03 - Not screened for dyslexia or related disorders
The Department of Review and Support at the TEA then sends a Qualtrics survey to LEAs for them to specify the reasons students were not screened for dyslexia (i.e., students with a code 03 selected). This Qualtrics survey will be discontinued after SY 2021–2022.
Going forward from SY 2022–2023, when code 03 is selected for a student, the data submitter will be required to indicate the reason a student was not screened for dyslexia during the screening window by submitting the DYSLEXIA-SCREENING-EXCEPTION-REASON (E1732), as defined by code table C231. Dyslexia screening must be completed by the end of the school year for students in kindergarten and no later than January 31st for students in first grade. When a student is not screened, code 03 is reported along with one of 12 reasons to justify why dyslexia screening did not occur.
The new DYSLEXIA-SCREENING-EXCEPTION-REASON (E1732) data element, as defined by code table DYSLEXIA-SCREENING-EXCEPTION-REASON-CODE (C231), will be collected annually in the Public Education Information Management System (PEIMS) Summer Submission.
- Review and Support: Dyslexia Screening
- Reading Instrument Guidance
- Early Childhood Data Collection Requirements
- Dyslexia Handbook
- Special Student Populations: Dyslexia and Related Disorders
- Dyslexia and Related Disorders Reporting Study
- SPEDTex Dyslexia
- TEC, §48.008, Public Education Information Management System (PEIMS)
- TEC, §38.003, Screening and Treatment for Dyslexia and Related Disorders
- 19 TAC §97.1071, Special Program Performance; Monitoring, Review, and Supports
- 19 TAC §74.28, Students with Dyslexia and Related Disorders
For measurement or program reporting questions, please contact the Department of Review and Support by phone at (512) 463-9414 or by email at ReviewandSupport@tea.texas.gov. For technical questions related to TSDS data entry, please either use the TSDS Incident Management System (TIMS) available within the TSDS Portal or email TSDSCustomerSupport@tea.texas.gov.