Chapter 37-Safe Schools
The Texas Education Code (TEC), Chapter 37 establishes the statutes related to student discipline, law and order in public schools. Individual school districts write and enforce student disciplinary policies that comply with the statutes.
The TEA Chapter 37 - Discipline; Law and Order Unit
TEA's Chapter 37 - Discipline, Law, and Order unit has the following responsibilities for Texas schools:
- Provides leadership to school districts with information needed to create local disciplinary policies in line with Chapter 37 of the Texas Education Code (TEC).
- Provides a central point of contact within TEA for agency staff, parents, students, public and private agencies, and others seeking clarification concerning discipline, law and order under the Texas Education Code.
- Provides assistance in recording PEIMS 425 Records Data from all school districts relating to disciplinary actions required by TEC Chapter 37 and Federal Law.
- Works with the Texas Juvenile Justice Department and other agencies on school safety.
The following reports and links are available resources on school discipline:
- Discipline Data Products can be downloaded. They are divided into Discipline reports and Assessment reports for students in discipline settings.
- Discipline Decisions provides a link to Student Code of Conduct and information on Mandatory DAEP Placement and Mandatory Expulsion.
- Meal Access for In‐School Suspension (ISS) Students provides information and answers questions concerning access to food service.
- Texas School Safety Center serves as a central location for school safety information.
- Safe Schools Resources provides even more helpful information.