Financial Resources for Teacher Training

The following programs and grants are designed to help you become a teacher.

Teach for America

Teach for America (outside source) offers cash awards that can be applied to past student loans or future educational costs for recent college graduates who commit to teaching in urban and rural public schools for two years.

Troops to Teachers

Troops to Teachers (outside source) offers guidance and support for military veterans to make the transition from active duty into teaching.

Teacher Loan Forgiveness

 Teacher Loan Forgiveness (outside source) - The Taxpayer-Teacher Protection Act authorizes up to $17,500 in loan forgiveness for eligible, highly qualified math, science, and special education teachers. A qualified teacher must:

  • be highly qualified, as defined by the No Child Left Behind Act (who have no outstanding loan balances before October 1, 1998, and who have borrowed before October 1, 2005)
  • have taught full-time for five consecutive years in a Title I school
  • have taught secondary math, science, or special education to students with disabilities

Grow-Your-Own Programs

Some Texas school districts offer grow-your-own programs that provide financial aid to students who agree to return to their school district as teachers after graduation from college. High school students interested in teaching should contact their school district.

G.I. Bill Benefits for Test Fees

The Texas Workforce Commission has approved the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) to allow veterans and other eligible persons to receive reimbursement for the cost of certification tests. This approval has been made effective, retroactively, as of March 1, 2001.

The veteran or other eligible person must submit two forms to the Department of Veterans Affairs, VA Regional Office, in Muskogee, OK.

  • Application for Licensing and Certification Testing Fee Reimbursement
  • VA Form 22-1990- Application for VA Education Benefits (for Veterans) or VA Form 22-5490- Application for Survivor's and Dependents Educational Assistance

To obtain these forms and further information contact the Texas Workforce Commission Veterans Education office at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (outside source), (512) 463-3168.

G.I. Bill Benefits for Educator Preparation Program Costs

Veterans Education Benefits can be used for teacher certification programs. The program must receive approval from the Texas Workforce Commission Veterans Affairs Office. The program assigns a staff person to process the required forms to request VA funding. The amount of money paid to eligible veterans varies, depending on the type of GI Bill that they have and the type of program they are completing. If veterans have remaining GI Bill eligibility, they should ask the program director or university VA office for details on applying for benefits.

Texas Workforce Commission

The Texas Workforce Commission (outside source) offers special programs and incentives to help people become and remain teachers.

Other Financial Aid

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board administers a variety of grants for attending college (outside source). You may also qualify for other financial aid, student loans, or scholarships. Contact your teacher training program for additional information.