Prekindergarten and Foreign Student Tuition
This page provides tuition information and links for both prekindergarten and foreign students.
See the links below for Texas law relating to prekindergarten and foreign student tuition.
- Texas Education Code: §29.1531, Tuition-Supported and District-Financed Prekindergarten
- Texas Education Code: §25.0031, Tuition for Students Holding Certain Student Visas
Tuition-Supported and District-Financed Prekindergarten
If a school district has 15 or more eligible 4-year-old children, it must offer a free full day of prekindergarten to those children.
A district may charge tuition to provide:
- half-day and full-day prekindergarten classes to children who are ineligible for free prekindergarten classes; and
- an additional half day of prekindergarten classes to those 3-year old children who are eligible for free prekindergarten classes
If a district charges tuition:
- the tuition may not be higher than is necessary to cover the added costs of providing the additional prekindergarten classes, including any costs associated with data collection and reporting requirements; and
- the district must submit a proposed tuition rate to the commissioner for approval annually. See the Sample Proposed Tuition Rate Letter (PDF 17 KB).
Do NOT send more than one copy of your tuition request letter to the agency. If you send this letter by email, do NOT send it again by regular mail.
- 2019-2020 Prekindergarten Tuition Rates (PDF 296 KB)
- 2018-2019 Prekindergarten Tuition Rates (PDF 310 KB)
- 2017-2018 Prekindergarten Tuition Rates (PDF 414 KB)
Tuition for Students Holding Certain Student Visas
School districts and open-enrollment charter schools must charge tuition to certain foreign students under the Texas Education Code, Section 25.0031, which was enacted by the 83rd Legislature in 2013. The tuition a district or charter school charges must not exceed the tuition amount established by the commissioner of education. The files below show the commissioner-established tuition amount for each district and charter school.
- 2019-2020 Tuition Limits for Students on F1 Visas (EXCEL, 212 KB)
- 2019-2020 Tuition Limits for Students on F1 Visas (PDF, 721 KB)
- 2018–2019 Tuition Limits for Students on F1 Visas (EXCEL, 220 KB)
- 2018–2019 Tuition Limits for Students on F1 Visas (PDF, 670 KB)
- 2017–2018 Tuition Limits for Students on F1 Visas (PDF, 668 KB)
- 2017–2018 Tuition Limits for Students on F1 Visas (EXCEL, 221 KB)
- 2016–2017 Tuition Limits for Students on F1 Visas (PDF, 683 KB)
- 2016–2017 Tuition Limits for Students on F1 Visas (EXCEL, 224 KB)
For additional information, contact:
Division of State Funding