For details about how to file a complaint, choose the link below that describes your concern:

  •  Local School Matters
    Raise concerns about local school matters with the local administration first. The local school matters page includes examples of concerns that should be handled locally, like school staffing, academics, student conduct, facilities, or finance, and guidance about how to file a complaint. Spanish speakers are available (se habla español).
  • School District or Charter School Actions
    To file a formal complaint to TEA about school district or charter school actions, you must allege that a school district or charter school has violated a law or rule in the administration of a program required or administered by the TEA or with respect to funds awarded or allocated by the TEA. The school district or charter school actions page provides details.
  • Special Education
    The special education page includes information, forms, and contacts for filing a special education-related complaint.
  • Test Security
    Each person who participates in the Texas student assessment program is responsible for reporting any violation or suspected violation of test security or confidentiality. Instructions for filing a complaint about any incident that results in a deviation from documented testing procedures to be a testing irregularity are on that page.
  • McKinney-Vento Homeless Education
    Disputes regarding eligibility, school selection, or enrollment under the McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program will be reviewed by TEA’s Complaints Division and the State Coordinator of Homeless Education at TEA. Please fill out and submit the TEA Complaint Form and select "McKinney-Vento Homeless Education" in Box 3. For more information on the procedures and process for local disputes please contact your district’s McKinney-Vento Homeless Liaison.
  • Driver Training
    Education Service Center Region 13’s Driver Training Division is the single point of contact for all driver training programs in Texas, including complaints.
  • Educator Preparation Programs (EPPs)
    TEA's EPP page has instructions for candidates and applicants who feel an EPP did not fulfill requirements for certification or broke the law. EPPs may also follow those instructions to file a complaint about the actions of other EPPs on behalf of a candidate transferring into their program.
  • Civil Rights
    Civil rights complaints allege that a public school discriminates against students on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex or disability in admission or access to, or treatment in the district’s programs or activities. These complaints are under the jurisdiction and authority of the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights (OCR). Visit the OCR website for details about when and how to file a complaint. OCR and TEA enforce several federal civil rights laws that prohibit discrimination in programs or activities that receive federal funds. In addition, TEA reviews school discrimination complaints and informs individuals of the appropriate complaint resolution options.
  • TEA Customer Service
    You may file a complaint about TEA customer service from our Compact with Texans page. Under state law, government agencies are required create a "Compact with Texans" that sets customer service standards and outlines the agency's procedures for responding to public contacts and complaints.
  • Fraud, Waste, or Abuse
    Report fraud via the State Auditor’s Office fraud, waste, or abuse hotline. These include allegations related to funds from the General Appropriations Act, Federal Stimulus or American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, or Hurricane Ike relief funds.
  • Complaints Handled by Other Agencies
    TEA only handles complaints related to violation of school law or the agency itself. Examples of complaints handled by other agencies are listed on that page.