Board of Managers
What is a Board of Managers?
A board of managers temporarily replaces the current elected board of trustees and exercises all powers and duties assigned to trustees to oversee the management of the school district.
When is a Board of Managers Appointed?
The education commissioner may appoint a board of managers if a school district or charter school fails to satisfy accreditation criteria, academic performance standards, or financial accountability standards, on the basis of a special accreditation investigation, or governance issues.
- TAC §97.1073 Appointment of Monitor, Conservator, or Board of Managers
- TEC §39A.004 Appointment of Board of Managers
- TEC §39A.006 Board of Managers for School District Managed by Conservator or Management Team
- TEC §39A.102 Implementation of Updated Targeted Improvement Plan
- TEC §39A.107 Commissioner Approval of Campus Turnaround Plan
- TEC §39A.111 Continued Unacceptable Performance Rating
- TEC §39A.256 Appointment of Board of Managers for Open-Enrollment Charter Schools
- TEC §12.116(d)(1) Procedure for Revocation, Modification of Governance, or Denial of Renewal
What is the job of a member of a board of managers?
- TEC §39A.201. General Powers and Duties of Board of Managers
- TEC §39A.202. Board of Managers School District
What is the process for appointing a board of managers?
When the need for a board of managers is established at a school district, a call for applications is made within the respective community. In collaboration with the Regional Education Center (ESC),TEA hosts a community meeting to provide information on the role, duties, and projected timelines for a commissioner appointed board of managers, and answer questions and concerns. Once the application window has closed, applications are screened, candidates are trained in Lone Star Governance, and interviews are conducted. Once finalists are identified, they are presented to the commissioner of education for final review and approval.
What is the job of a board of trustees when a board of managers is appointed?
How long is a board of managers in place?