The State Waivers Unit of the Texas Education Agency is responsible for
the coordination of expedited and general state waivers and class size
exceptions. See Texas Education Code (TEC) §7.056, Waivers & Exemptions, for rules.
2018-2019 Applications will be available in TEAL on the following dates:
|General & Expedited || July 9, 2018|
|Attendance (Missed School Day, Low Attendance) || August 1, 2018|
|Class Size|| September 4, 2018|
Note: As of January 2018, the new 2018-2019 Staff Development Minutes Waiver is currently available in TEAL.
Once the new waiver year opens, the current 2017-2018 year waiver application will no longer be available.
Waiver Application Enhancements
The waiver system has moved to a new look and more user friendly application. The switch over to the new application took place on June 28, 2017.
This TEA Waiver Quick Reference Video Tutorial will guide users through the enhanced system and highlight new features.
Most waiver types are placed into one of four categories:
- Expedited Waivers are waivers that require basic information from the district.
- General Waivers are waivers that require detailed information surrounding the district's waiver request.
- Attendance Waivers include Missed Instructional Days and Low Attendance Days waivers. The district or campus can request a waiver for excused absences if instructional days are missed or if attendance is low due to weather, health, or safety issues.
- Maximum Class Size Exception is required under the provision of TEC §25.112 if any class for grades K-4 exceeds the allowable class size limit of 22 students per class (22:1). An exemption expires at the end of the school year for which it is granted.
- Other Waivers are specific requests that do not fall under any of the above categories.
This table shows the different waiver types and links to their description:
To the Administrator Addressed Additional Missed School Day Waivers related to Hurricane Harvey (9-1-2017)
To the Administrator Addressed Hurricane Harvey Related Waivers (8-29-2017)
TEAL Access Instructions
Waivers Online Report - Displays the Status of Waiver Requests
To the Administrator Addressed Minutes of Operation - Updates to HB 2442 (8-31-2017)
To the Administrator Addressed Information Concerning Changes to Staff Development and Early Release Waivers for 2018-2019 and Beyond (8-31-2017)