Science TEKS Review
The State Board of Education (SBOE) has authority for the review and adoption of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for each subject of the required curriculum. SBOE members nominate educators, parents, business and industry representatives, and employers to serve on the review work groups. This page provides information regarding the 2020 review and revision of the TEKS for science.
Science TEKS adopted by the State Board of Education
The State Board of Education gave final approval on November 20, 2020, to the Science TEKS for the following four high school courses: Biology, Chemistry, Integrated Physics and Chemistry, and Physics. The revised TEKS for the four high school courses will be effective 20 days after they are posted to the Texas Register.
The following document reflects changes approved by the SBOE.
Text of 19 TAC Chapter 112, Subchapter C (PDF, 278KB)
Science TEKS Review Work Groups
The SBOE's process calls for multiple, separate work groups. Nominations to serve on TEKS review work groups will be made throughout the review process. The following list includes individuals appointed by the SBOE to serve on the Science TEKS Review work groups.
Applications are submitted to SBOE members for review throughout the revision process. Based on that review, SBOE members make nominations to work groups. TEA will notify applicants of their nominations at each stage in the review and revision process.
- Work group members will be expected to complete an online orientation session prior to their work group meeting. Work group members may be asked to complete an initial review prior to their meeting.
- Work groups will convene in Austin for a minimum of one face-to-face meeting. Meeting times and dates for the different work groups will be shared with the SBOE's members for each work group meeting. Additional meetings conducted by webinar may also be scheduled as necessary.
- Work group members may be asked to provide invited testimony at SBOE meetings.
- Work group members will be reimbursed in accordance with state travel guidelines for travel, meals, and lodging for meetings held in Austin.
- Questions related to the application for the science TEKS review and revision process can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Science Education TEKS Review Content Advisors
Information related to the SBOE-nominated content advisors for the science TEKS review is available on the Science TEKS Review Content Advisors web page.