Science TEKS Review
The State Board of Education (SBOE) has authority for the review and adoption of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for each subject of the required curriculum. SBOE members nominate educators, parents, business and industry representatives, and employers to serve on the review work groups. This page provides information regarding the 2020 review and revision of the TEKS for science.
Amendments to be Considered at Second Reading
Amendments to be considered by the SBOE on Friday, November 20, 2020, for second reading and final adoption of Proposed New 19 TAC Chapter 112, Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for Science, Subchapter C, High School, §§112.41-112.45 are available here.
Science TEKS Review Work Groups
The SBOE's process calls for multiple, separate work groups. Nominations to serve on TEKS review work groups will be made throughout the review process. The following list includes individuals appointed by the SBOE to serve on the Science TEKS Review work groups.
Science Work Group Application
The SBOE is now accepting applications for science TEKS review work groups. The SBOE's TEKS review and revision process calls for multiple, separate work groups. Nominations to serve on TEKS work groups will be made throughout the TEKS review process.
A link is provided below to the general application that TEA uses to form review committees. A "Committee Preferences" section is at the end of the application. After selecting "SBOE Committee - Science TEKS Review Committee," the applicant will be asked additional questions related to science. Applicants do not need to be educators to complete the Educator Application. In the first drop-down menu in the application, you may select "Other (No current district affiliation)."
Individuals who are not current or former K-12 educators may elect instead to complete the TEA Committee General Application for the science TEKS review provided below.
If you have not already downloaded Acrobat on your computer, you can download a free copy of it at this address. There are two options for submitting the general application. To submit manually, download the Adobe PDF form, save a copy to your device, and complete the application. Resave the document and email the completed application to TEA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also choose to fill out the form and submit it automatically. After filling out the form, click “Submit” at beginning of the document. An email will be generated automatically and sent to TEA at email@example.com.
TEA will send a confirmation email within 5 days of receiving your application.
Applications are submitted to SBOE members for review throughout the revision process. Based on that review, SBOE members make nominations to work groups. TEA will notify applicants of their nominations at each stage in the review and revision process.
- Work group members will be expected to complete an online orientation session prior to their work group meeting. Work group members may be asked to complete an initial review prior to their meeting.
- Work groups will convene in Austin for a minimum of one face-to-face meeting. Meeting times and dates for the different work groups will be shared with the SBOE's members for each work group meeting. Additional meetings conducted by webinar may also be scheduled as necessary.
- Work group members may be asked to provide invited testimony at SBOE meetings.
- Work group members will be reimbursed in accordance with state travel guidelines for travel, meals, and lodging for meetings held in Austin.
- Questions related to the application for the science TEKS review and revision process can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Science Education TEKS Review Content Advisors
Information related to the SBOE-nominated content advisors for the science TEKS review is available on the Science TEKS Review Content Advisors web page.
Curriculum Standards and Student Support Division