Health Education TEKS Review
Information related to the SBOE-nominated content advisors for the health education TEKS review is available at this webpage. The State Board of Education (SBOE) has authority for the review and adoption of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for each subject of the required curriculum. SBOE members nominate educators, parents, business and industry representatives, and employers to serve on the review work groups. This page provides information regarding the 2019 review and revision of the TEKS for health education.
Information regarding the physical education TEKS review is available on the physical education TEKS review web page.
In preparation for the revision of the health education TEKS, the SBOE requested that the commissioner prepare a study of current health education research and state standards, including national best practices, that would be used as a guide to begin the SBOE’s processes to review and consider revising the health education TEKS.
Health Education TEKS adopted by the State Board of Education
The State Board of Education gave final approval on November 20, 2020, to the new health education TEKS. The new health education TEKS will be effective on August 1, 2022, and will be implemented in classrooms beginning with the 2022–2023 school year.
The following document reflects changes approved by the SBOE.
Text of 19 TAC Chapter 115, Subchapters A – C (PDF, 1435KB)
Amendments to be Considered at Second Reading
Amendments to be considered by the SBOE on Friday, November 20, 2020, for second reading and final adoption of Proposed New 19 TAC Chapter 115, Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for Health Education, are available here.
Health Education TEKS Review Work Groups
The SBOE's process calls for multiple, separate work groups. Nominations to serve on TEKS review work groups will be made throughout the review process. The following list includes individuals appointed by the SBOE to serve on the Health Education TEKS Review work groups.
Health Education TEKS Content Advisor Reviews
The health education content advisors provide feedback on the health education TEKS to the SBOE and work groups during the TEKS review process. The content advisors' reviews can be found on the following web page.
Applications are submitted to SBOE members for review throughout the revision process. Based on that review, SBOE members make nominations to work groups. TEA will notify applicants of their nominations at each stage in the review and revision process.
- Work group members will be expected to complete an online orientation session prior to their work group meeting. Work group members may be asked to complete an initial review prior to their meeting.
- Work groups will convene in Austin for a minimum of one face-to-face meeting. Meeting times and dates for the different work groups will be shared with the SBOE's members for each work group meeting. Additional meetings conducted by webinar may also be scheduled as necessary.
- Work group members may be asked to provide invited testimony at SBOE meetings.
- Work group members will be reimbursed in accordance with state travel guidelines for travel, meals, and lodging for meetings held in Austin.
- Questions related to the application for the health education and physical education TEKS review and revision process can be directed to email@example.com.
Health Education TEKS Review Content Advisors
Information related to the SBOE-nominated content advisors for the health education TEKS review is available at this webpage.