English Language Proficiency Standards Review
The State Board of Education (SBOE) has authority for the review and adoption of the English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS). SBOE members nominate individuals to serve on the review work groups. The SBOE initially began the review and revision process for the ELPS in 2019. The ELPS review was paused in 2020 and resumed in 2023. This page provides information regarding the review and revision of the ELPS.
ELPS Review Work Groups
The SBOE's review and revision process calls for multiple, separate work groups. As the next step in the process, TEA will convene ELPS review work groups to review and provide feedback on the ELPS writers’ draft. The 2023 ELPS review work groups include both original work group members from the 2019 review and new work group members.
ELPS Review Work Group Application
The application for 2023 ELPS review work groups is open at https://bit.ly/3uyEmuS.
SBOE Work Groups
Applications were submitted to SBOE members for review throughout the revision process. Based on that review, SBOE members make nominations to work groups. TEA will notify applicants of their nominations at each stage in the review and revision process.
- Individuals selected will be asked to serve on one or more work groups.
- Work group members will be expected to complete an online orientation session prior to their work group meeting. Work group members may be asked to complete an initial review of the standards prior to their meeting.
- Work groups will convene in Austin for a minimum of one face-to-face meeting. Meeting times and dates for the different work groups will be shared with the SBOE's appointees for each work group meeting. Additional meetings conducted by webinar may also be scheduled as necessary.
- Work group members may be asked to provide invited testimony at SBOE meetings.
- Work group members will be reimbursed in accordance with state travel guidelines for travel, meals, and lodging for meetings held in Austin.
- Questions related to the application for the ELPS review and revision process can be directed to email@example.com.
ELPS Review Writing Group
After convening a series of work groups in 2019, TEA identified a group of experts in language acquisition from Texas institutions of higher education and an education service center to complete recommendations for revisions to the ELPS. Information related to the ELPS review writing group is available on the ELPS Review Writing Group webpage.
2019 ELPS Review Work Groups
The SBOE's review and revisions process calls for multiple, separate work groups. The following links include individuals appointed by the SBOE to serve on the ELPS review work groups and their drafts.