English Language Proficiency Standards Review
The State Board of Education (SBOE) has authority for the review and adoption of the English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS). SBOE members nominate individuals to serve on the review work groups. This page provides information regarding the 2019 review and revision of the ELPS.
ELPS Review Work Groups
The SBOE's review and revision process calls for multiple, separate work groups. Nominations to serve on ELPS work groups will be made throughout the review process. The following list includes individuals appointed by the SBOE to serve on the ELPS Review work groups.
ELPS Review Work Group Application
The SBOE's ELPS review and revision process calls for multiple, separate work groups. Nominations to serve on ELPS work groups will be made throughout the ELPS review process.
The following link will take you to a common application that TEA uses to form multiple committees. At the end of the application, you will be asked to select "Committee Preferences." After selecting "SBOE Committee—English Language Proficiency Review Committee," you will be asked questions about your preferences specifically related to the ELPS review.
Educator Review Committee Application (outside source)
SBOE Work Groups
Applications will be submitted to SBOE members for review throughout the revision process. Based on that review, SBOE members make nominations to work groups. TEA will notify applicants of their nominations at each stage in the review and revision process
- Individuals selected will be asked to serve on one or more work groups.
- Work group members will be expected to complete an online orientation session prior to their work group meeting. Work group members may be asked to complete an initial review of the standards prior to their meeting.
- Work groups will convene in Austin for a minimum of one face-to-face meeting. Meeting times and dates for the different work groups will be shared with the SBOE's appointees for each work group meeting. Additional meetings conducted by webinar may also be scheduled as necessary.
- Work group members may be asked to provide invited testimony at SBOE meetings.
- Work group members will be reimbursed in accordance with state travel guidelines for travel, meals, and lodging for meetings held in Austin.
- Questions related to the application for the ELPS review and revision process can be directed to email@example.com.