SAT is an assessment managed by the College Board that has been used as a college admissions test since the mid-1920s. The SAT measures literacy and writing skills and assesses how well a student analyzes and solves problems. Colleges may use SAT scores for admissions and merit-based scholarships.
HB 3 College Preparation Assessment
Texas Education Code Sec. § 39.0261
College Preparation Assessment
High school students in the spring of the 11th grade or during the 12th grade may select and take once, at state cost, one of the valid, reliable and nationally norm-referenced assessment instruments used by colleges and universities as part of their undergraduate admissions processes.
This new legislation goes into effect for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Reimbursement is provided for students to take the ACT, SAT, or TSIA
- Funding is provided one time for each high school student
- Students may test in their senior year or spring of their junior year
- TEA advanced funds in September for the 2019-2020 school year
- Funding will allow districts to pay for student exams as they are taken
- After the school year ends, districts will reconcile and "settle-up" the 2019-2020 account in April 2021.
Districts received an advanced reimbursement for the estimated 2019-2020 financial budget needed to provide one college preparation assessment for each junior and senior who wants to take advantage of the one FREE State provided opportunity.
Home Schooled Students and Test Ordering
Under TEC §29.916, Texas school districts are required to provide home school students the opportunity to participate in PSAT/NMSQT and Advanced Placement (AP) testing at the same level of experience that each district provides for their enrolled students.
The statute requires districts to:
- notify the public via website or local newspaper,
- publicize availability for home-schooled students eligible to attend school in the district,
- provide the dates of PSAT/NMSQT and AP tests,
- describe the procedures for a home-schooled student to register for the tests, and
- charge the same fee charged of enrolled students.
This public notice must be posted/published at the times and with the same frequency as the notice is given to enrolled students.
College Admissions Testing Student Data (SAT and ACT)
Data and reports related to college admissions testing, including SAT and ACT, in Texas public schools.
SAT National Administrations
SAT School Day Administrations
Phone: (512) 463-8823