Texas Education Data Standards (TEDS) migration to Ed-Fi 3.0
|Date:||October 10, 2019|
|Subject:||Texas Education Data Standards (TEDS) migration to Ed-Fi 3.0|
|Category:||Data Reporting Implications|
|Next Steps:||Share with appropriate staff|
This letter is to inform you of the plan of the Texas Education Agency (TEA) to update the Texas Student Data System (TSDS) Operational Data Store (ODS) along with the supporting data standards to Ed-Fi version 3.x in the 2022-2023 school year. Upgrading to the latest version of Ed-Fi will allow for the following:
- The ability for local education agencies (LEAs) to submit transactional data via Ed-Fi application programming interfaces (APIs);
- The ability for LEAs to submit data to the agency from multiple source systems utilizing the Ed-Fi data standard;
- Achieving the goal of one data collection, thus reducing redundant data collections;
- Reducing TEA-specific ODS extensions and complexity by aligning with the Ed-Fi data standards and Ed-Fi ODS schema when possible;
- Improving system performance for LEA data submission;
- Leveraging Ed-Fi tools and utilities to support data standard management and documentation; and
- Reducing time LEAs spend preparing data for submission to TEA.
Additionally, TEA is planning to conduct a TSDS ODS 3.x pilot during the 2021-2022 school year. Select LEAs will be requested to participate in the pilot by submitting data collections through the current TSDS system and the 3.x system so that comparison analysis can be performed. Data submitted through the current TSDS system will be an LEA’s official submission. The data submitted through the 3.x TSDS system will be a parallel test of the data submission. The pilot version of Texas Education Data Standards for the 2021-2022 school year will be published in July 2020.
Further information on this migration plan will be communicated through the TSDS Field Coordination Network.