TDEM CRF LEA Reimbursement Program
|Date:||August 31, 2020|
|Subject:||TDEM CRF LEA Reimbursement Program|
|Category:||CARES Act Funding Update|
|Next Steps:||Share with appropriate administrators and business office officials|
The Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM) opened the application process for the CARES Act Coronavirus Relief Fund (CRF) LEA Reimbursement Program in early August. The application will close on September 30, 2020.
To date, approximately 20% of LEAs have started the process with TDEM to apply for this reimbursement, and less than 2% of LEAs have submitted costs for reimbursement. The TDEM process has been streamlined for this program, but is still a multi-step process. LEAs cannot wait until the last week of the application period to begin this process.
To receive reimbursement, the LEA needs to complete the first step in the process by September 7, 2020. Instructions for completing and submitting the required documents to create an account in the TDEM grant management system can be found at https://tdem.texas.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/CRF-LEA-Terms-and-Conditions-FINAL-20200801.pdf.
TDEM is offering weekly trainings on the application process every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday at 1:00 p.m. until further notice. You may register for the TDEM training at https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJYpfu6urDgvG93eNoD578Ldt7F0yjOQnto8. After completing your registration, you will be provided a meeting link, meeting ID and meeting password.
TDEM is administering the CRF LEA Reimbursement Program, which will provide reimbursements to LEAs for eligible expenditures incurred between March 1 and May 20, 2020. To be eligible for this reimbursement, the supplemental expenses must meet the following general statutory requirements:
- Necessary expenditures incurred due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Allowable costs that were not accounted for in the most recently approved LEA budget as of March 27, 2020
- Allowable costs incurred March 1, 2020, through May 20, 2020
Specifically, the following education-related activities are allowed under the CRF reimbursements, and your requests for reimbursement should align to one or both of these uses:
- Expenses to facilitate distance learning, including technological improvements, in connection with school closings to enable compliance with COVID-19 precautions
- Other eligible expenditures including payroll and benefit costs of educational support staff or faculty responsible for developing online learning capabilities necessary to continue educational instruction in response to COVID-19-related school closures.
The following types of expenses are not allowed for reimbursement:
- Expenses for the state share of Medicaid
- Damages covered by insurance
- Payroll or benefits expenses for employees whose work duties are not substantially dedicated to mitigating or responding to the COVID-19 public health emergency (general LEA employees)
- Expenses that have been or will be reimbursed under any federal program, such as other CARES Act programs
- Reimbursement to donors for donated items or services
- Workforce bonuses other than hazard pay or overtime
- Severance pay
- Legal settlements
For more information on the application steps and the TDEM CRF LEA Reimbursement Program, go to https://tdem.texas.gov/crf-lea/ or submit questions to TDEM staff via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cory Green, Associate Commissioner
Department of Grant Compliance and Administration