Proposed Career and Technical Education Programs of Study
June 13, 2019
Proposed Career & Technical Education Programs of Study
Preliminary Public Comment
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) requests preliminary public comment on proposed Career and Technical Education (CTE) course sequences, referred to as programs of study. Programs of study are course sequences that prepare students with the knowledge and skills necessary for success in their chosen career. These sequences embed relevant, real world experiences and culminate in a postsecondary credential.
The Division of College, Career, and Military Preparation has engaged members of the workforce, secondary education, and higher education to advise on the development of course sequences, industry-based certifications, and work-based learning opportunities to ensure students are prepared for in-demand, high-skill, high-wage careers in Texas. We seek additional feedback from district and campus level administrators, CTE coordinators, CTE teachers, and counselors during preliminary public comment.
Overview of proposed programs of study:
- Provides students with course sequences that prepare them for success in in-demand, high wage, high skill careers in Texas
- Allows for flexibility in district and campus course offerings
- Leads to postsecondary credentials
- Expands opportunities for students to engage in STEM-related occupations
- Includes resources to assist in scheduling and career planning conversations
- Allows districts to address the needs of their community through the development of course sequences that are supported by regional workforce data
- June-July 2019: Preliminary public comment on proposed programs of study
- August 2019: Revisions based on preliminary public comment
- September 2019: Release revisions of programs of study
- August -May 2020: Planning year for new programs of study
- September 2019: Launch application for regional programs of study
- December 2019: Application for grants to fund equipment for programs of study
- August 2020: First year of implementation of new programs of study
Stakeholders are asked to review the proposed programs of study and provide comments.
- Review the programs of study overview document that details proposed changes and recommendations
- Review the list of proposed course sequences
- Provide feedback via an electronic form to allow TEA to track feedback and incorporate into revisions
All proposed programs of study, resources, and electronic forms can be found on the CTE website: https://tea.texas.gov/cte.
The public comment period opened on June 6, 2019 and will close on July 19, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. Central Time. If you have additional questions regarding the public comment process, contact Ryan Merritt at email@example.com.