2018-2019 Innovative Course Application
November 29, 2017
TO THE ADMINISTRATOR ADDRESSED:
Subject: 2018–2019 Innovative Course Application
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) is now accepting applications for innovative courses for the 2018–2019 school year.
Texas Administrative Code (TAC), Section 74.27, allows school districts to offer innovative courses to enable students to master knowledge, skills, and competencies not included in the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). Each innovative course must be academically rigorous and address the needs of students across the state. Innovative courses must be approved by either the State Board of Education (SBOE) or the commissioner of education. State-approved innovative courses may satisfy state elective credit toward graduation. With the approval of the local board of trustees, school districts and charter schools may offer state-approved innovative courses without modification.
A proposed innovative course cannot duplicate an existing TEKS-based or approved innovative course. Innovative course applications that are substantially similar to a TEKS-based course or a currently approved innovative course may be denied. Before submitting an application for an innovative course, please review the TEKS-based courses and the Currently Approved Innovative Course List. You may discover that an existing TEKS-based course adopted by the SBOE or a currently approved innovative course will meet the needs of students in your district. TEKS-based courses can be found in 19 TAC, Chapters 110–128 and Chapter 130. A list of currently approved innovative courses is available on the TEA Innovative Courses webpage.
Innovative Course Approval Process
TEA will begin the review of innovative course applications for the 2018–2019 school year from the date of this letter and follow the timeline provided below. TEA will review the applications in the order in which they are received. Applicants are encouraged to submit innovative course applications as soon as possible.
Districts and other organizations that wish to submit an application will have access to information and resources to assist with the application process via the Innovative Courses webpage. Districts unfamiliar with innovative courses and/or the application process are encouraged to review these materials. The application timeline for innovative courses will be as follows:
Phase One: Applications received by January 10, 2017
- Applicants are encouraged to submit all innovative course applications that will require the approval of the SBOE, i.e., courses that contain content that does not fall within the subjects of the foundation or enrichment curriculum during Phase One.
- Applications requiring SBOE approval may be scheduled to go before the SBOE at the January/February 2018 meeting.
- Applicants wishing to submit an application for an innovative course that requires the approval of the commissioner of education (i.e., courses that contain content that falls within the subjects of the foundation or enrichment curriculum) may also submit applications during Phase One.
- Applications received by this date that require commissioner approval will receive a final determination by February 20, 2018.
Phase Two: Applications received by February 15, 2018
- This is the final deadline to submit an innovative course application for the 2018–2019 school year.
- Applications requiring SBOE approval will be scheduled to go before the SBOE at the April 2018 meeting.
- Applications received by this date will receive a final determination by April 25, 2018.
The 2018–2019 innovative course application and procedures may be accessed via the Innovative Courses webpage. Questions related to innovative courses or the approval process, may be directed to Kelsey Kling, Curriculum Standards and Student Support Division, by phone at (512) 463-9581 or by email at email@example.com.
INNOVATIVE COURSES TIMELINE
January 10, 2017
Phase One applications due
February 15, 2018
Phase Two applications due
July 1, 2018
Approved list published
Expiring Innovative Courses
The list of innovative courses expiring at the end of the 2017–2018 school year is attached. Each district or organization holding the current application for an expiring innovative course will be provided the opportunity to submit an application to renew the innovative course.
The Public Education Information Management System (PEIMS) codes associated with expiring innovative courses will be deleted from the system as of July 1, 2018, if the courses are not renewed. Beginning with the 2018–2019 school year, the courses and associated codes may no longer be available for use. Should you believe that your district has current approval for any of the listed expiring courses, you may submit your documentation verifying TEA approval to Kelsey Kling, Curriculum Standards and Student Support Division, by fax at (512) 463-8057 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Standards and Support Services